Hello

Hey everyone, 

I joined this community hoping to find new friends. However, this place seems to have strict rules about sharing contact information.

I'm bullied a bit in school, and find it hard to meet others. I was hoping this was my  breakthrough.

maybe, maybe not. I'd still love to talk to someone.

I'm 15, and live in Scotland. I was diagno with Asperger's syndrome at 13, but sort of self diagnosed myself at 12. That's all Ill say for now.

Sorry if I appear vague, it's somewhat late here and I came here desperate to meet people. 

Parents
  • Perhaps it isn't so surprising when people that have known you for some time before you told them about the diagnosis do have doubts. I can well imagine that it hurts a lot but perhaps a little less if you try not to take it too personal. Most people (especially your own age but also older) will not have heard much about AS so far, so they may google it and because the range of symptoms is so wide and you have probably done quite a good job in covering your issues and probably don't have all possible symptoms anyway they struggle to match you with the descriptions they find. For example they read about a lack of empathy but may have experienced you being a very empathetic friend. It's quite possible that they have no idea that their doubts hurt you and they wouldn't want to hurt you, they just think you are perfectly normal and accusing you of making it up is a bit a clumsy way of saying this or something that slips out easily when being temporarily a bit angry in a situation where they think you are using this diagnosis they don't believe in as an excuse when actually you are perfectly capable of dealing with the situation better than you do.

Might be better to tell people what exactly you have difficulties with in a specific situation, rather than saying you struggle with it because of AS.

• Perhaps it isn't so surprising when people that have known you for some time before you told them about the diagnosis do have doubts. I can well imagine that it hurts a lot but perhaps a little less if you try not to take it too personal. Most people (especially your own age but also older) will not have heard much about AS so far, so they may google it and because the range of symptoms is so wide and you have probably done quite a good job in covering your issues and probably don't have all possible symptoms anyway they struggle to match you with the descriptions they find. For example they read about a lack of empathy but may have experienced you being a very empathetic friend. It's quite possible that they have no idea that their doubts hurt you and they wouldn't want to hurt you, they just think you are perfectly normal and accusing you of making it up is a bit a clumsy way of saying this or something that slips out easily when being temporarily a bit angry in a situation where they think you are using this diagnosis they don't believe in as an excuse when actually you are perfectly capable of dealing with the situation better than you do.

Might be better to tell people what exactly you have difficulties with in a specific situation, rather than saying you struggle with it because of AS.

Children
No Data