Newbie to the forum.

Hello everyone, my 8 year old twin daughters were diagnosed HFA last year. Although initially upsetting (more for them than myself) it was also a relief. I'm joining the forum for support, ideas, strategies to help with their anxieties, and to chat with people who understand what it is like to live as part of the autism world.

Parents
  • Hello, I have a 9 year old boy with HFA. He was diagnosed in February this year. We have also been waiting for an ADHD assessment and we now have an appointment for next Wednesday. We are also having difficulty with school in terms of refusal to go, he tells us he feels sick and needs to to go to the toilet, but then doesn't ask because he is worrying about missing work and being behind and he says this will mean that he will have so much more to do. It makes the morning's really hard and I'm almost late for work every day, but I don't rush him as I know this only makes matters worse, also I want him to feel calm and know that I am right there with him trying to understand the best I can. The traffic light system sounds like a really good idea! I will talk to his teacher tomorrow about it. 

• Hello, I have a 9 year old boy with HFA. He was diagnosed in February this year. We have also been waiting for an ADHD assessment and we now have an appointment for next Wednesday. We are also having difficulty with school in terms of refusal to go, he tells us he feels sick and needs to to go to the toilet, but then doesn't ask because he is worrying about missing work and being behind and he says this will mean that he will have so much more to do. It makes the morning's really hard and I'm almost late for work every day, but I don't rush him as I know this only makes matters worse, also I want him to feel calm and know that I am right there with him trying to understand the best I can. The traffic light system sounds like a really good idea! I will talk to his teacher tomorrow about it. 

Children
No Data