Newbie to the forum.

Hello everyone, my 8 year old twin daughters were diagnosed HFA last year. Although initially upsetting (more for them than myself) it was also a relief. I'm joining the forum for support, ideas, strategies to help with their anxieties, and to chat with people who understand what it is like to live as part of the autism world.

Parents
  • It was hostile, but it made me stronger in the long run. I dont know what the Ironman is but it does not sound pleasent, I am sorry she is having to go through this.

I have sensory issues aswell (Sensory Processing Disorder) So all my senses are highened, and my pain threshold is nearly none existant, I feel so much pain sometimes. However, I got that diagnosis at 14, and another thing the school put in place that could be helpful, was that in classes that got very loud I was allowed earplugs, during working times, discussion I struggled with still. I would put a sign on the desk (The teacher was completely aware of the situation) and work in silence and then they would alert me to when I needed to start listening again. I would also put them in at lunch sometimes when it got too much. Maybe this could be adapted to work for your girls??

• It was hostile, but it made me stronger in the long run. I dont know what the Ironman is but it does not sound pleasent, I am sorry she is having to go through this.

I have sensory issues aswell (Sensory Processing Disorder) So all my senses are highened, and my pain threshold is nearly none existant, I feel so much pain sometimes. However, I got that diagnosis at 14, and another thing the school put in place that could be helpful, was that in classes that got very loud I was allowed earplugs, during working times, discussion I struggled with still. I would put a sign on the desk (The teacher was completely aware of the situation) and work in silence and then they would alert me to when I needed to start listening again. I would also put them in at lunch sometimes when it got too much. Maybe this could be adapted to work for your girls??

Children
No Data