Newbie to the forum.

Hello everyone, my 8 year old twin daughters were diagnosed HFA last year. Although initially upsetting (more for them than myself) it was also a relief. I'm joining the forum for support, ideas, strategies to help with their anxieties, and to chat with people who understand what it is like to live as part of the autism world.

Parents
  • Hi,

My brother got diagnosed at 8 and I got diagnosed about a year ago at 18. And for both of us my mum told us repeatedly the same thing. And still tells me when Im struggaling. It might help your daughters. My mum says:

"This doesnt mean you are (their names) with autism. It does not define who you are. You are (their names) who happens to have autism. It makes you slightly different and special, but does not mean anything negative. Remember that."

Its something that always helps me to remember this. That I dont have to walk up to someone and say Hi I have autism. I can just say hi. I decide who knows and why. I can decide how to react to my autism and whether it will control me or no.

Hope it helps.

• Hi,

My brother got diagnosed at 8 and I got diagnosed about a year ago at 18. And for both of us my mum told us repeatedly the same thing. And still tells me when Im struggaling. It might help your daughters. My mum says:

"This doesnt mean you are (their names) with autism. It does not define who you are. You are (their names) who happens to have autism. It makes you slightly different and special, but does not mean anything negative. Remember that."

Its something that always helps me to remember this. That I dont have to walk up to someone and say Hi I have autism. I can just say hi. I decide who knows and why. I can decide how to react to my autism and whether it will control me or no.

Hope it helps.

Children
No Data