New to this place!

Hi my name's Olive and I'm 18! I'm a little nervous to be joining this community as I've never really had a support network for my autism but I hope this will help me feel more welcomed and more, if anything, normal. I think interacting with people like me will be good for me as it will help me feel less alone, which I always have been when it comes to understanding my autism.

I am yet undiagnosed, but as I recently turned 18 and am seeking an adult diagnosis. My journey in discovering my autism is a long one and has been since I was a baby and only in recent years have I been comfortable accepting myself as autistic and talking about my autism to others, although still it makes me nervous. As a teenage girl living in this generation where there is a lot of stigma around mental disorders it's very easy for someone to accuse me of lying and whilst many have supported me, others haven't.

I hope there are other people in this community who can relate to my experience and accept me.

Parents
  • It is kinda a fear. The main aspect for me was looking after myself. I am reaching the end of my first year at University. I never thought I would get here. I was afraid my ASD would stop me. But with support from friends, family and the school and college I went to I made it here.

My brother was diagnosed at 8 and my mum was told that he would never reach university. Hi is now 24 with a 2:1 degree in animation and a job as a 3D animation artist. 

So it is possible. It can be difficult. My brother has to work a 4 day week or he cant survive in the environment (Although its not brilliant for non aspies either). But it is possible. He just needs to stay passionate and focused. I am attempting to become a lawyer because that is what I am passionate about, 16 year old me would not think I would be here. So although I understand it is hard to not focus on the future, try and get him to look slightly closer. Focus on getting the grades. To get to college/or apprentiship etc. I found that relieved my stress for the far future, by working to control the near future.

• It is kinda a fear. The main aspect for me was looking after myself. I am reaching the end of my first year at University. I never thought I would get here. I was afraid my ASD would stop me. But with support from friends, family and the school and college I went to I made it here.

My brother was diagnosed at 8 and my mum was told that he would never reach university. Hi is now 24 with a 2:1 degree in animation and a job as a 3D animation artist. 

So it is possible. It can be difficult. My brother has to work a 4 day week or he cant survive in the environment (Although its not brilliant for non aspies either). But it is possible. He just needs to stay passionate and focused. I am attempting to become a lawyer because that is what I am passionate about, 16 year old me would not think I would be here. So although I understand it is hard to not focus on the future, try and get him to look slightly closer. Focus on getting the grades. To get to college/or apprentiship etc. I found that relieved my stress for the far future, by working to control the near future.

Children
No Data