Hello, any advice greatly appreciated!

Hi

We have a 12yo son who has a working diagnosis of ASD.  This comes after years of concern about occasionally volatile behaviour and actions, and ongoing assessment through CAMHS.

I'm hoping some of you will be able to share the benefit of your experience with us, as we feel overwhelmed and a bit lost as to how to go forward with things.

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Parents
  • JohnColm said:

Hi

We have a 12yo son who has a working diagnosis of ASD.  This comes after years of concern about occasionally volatile behaviour and actions, and ongoing assessment through CAMHS.

I'm hoping some of you will be able to share the benefit of your experience with us, as we feel overwhelmed and a bit lost as to how to go forward with things.

We have a 13 year old who has been assessed has having traits of ASD, we have tussled with both MATT and CAMHS over the last 8 years, he is very volitile and aggressive and just this evening has yet again pulled a knife out and held it to his throat, twice now we have had the police out as a result of him pulling a knife out the kitchen block about 4 months between each one. CAHMS is all over the place with its service and support and in our experience have been not very helpful, we went to family therapy but he didn't want to see our son?? confused about that one. MATT gave up and there seems to be little engagement from CAHMS. So we are at our wits end about the whole issue, he is violent towards his two younger brothers aged 5 & 8 and today was kicked of by his older brother taking back his own game from him and then quicly developed into him threatening everyone and hitting his mum. I had to both disarm and restrain him, my wife wouldnt make a statement to the police as they said it was the only way they could lock him up, reluctently his nana and grandad have taken him for the night. All over a game!!! we dont know what else to do, spoke to social services who had recently took our son of their books as they said we were coping even though we still raise concerns over the rest of the familys safety, we feel constantly let down by those that should be there to support not only us but son.

• JohnColm said:

Hi

We have a 13 year old who has been assessed has having traits of ASD, we have tussled with both MATT and CAMHS over the last 8 years, he is very volitile and aggressive and just this evening has yet again pulled a knife out and held it to his throat, twice now we have had the police out as a result of him pulling a knife out the kitchen block about 4 months between each one. CAHMS is all over the place with its service and support and in our experience have been not very helpful, we went to family therapy but he didn't want to see our son?? confused about that one. MATT gave up and there seems to be little engagement from CAHMS. So we are at our wits end about the whole issue, he is violent towards his two younger brothers aged 5 & 8 and today was kicked of by his older brother taking back his own game from him and then quicly developed into him threatening everyone and hitting his mum. I had to both disarm and restrain him, my wife wouldnt make a statement to the police as they said it was the only way they could lock him up, reluctently his nana and grandad have taken him for the night. All over a game!!! we dont know what else to do, spoke to social services who had recently took our son of their books as they said we were coping even though we still raise concerns over the rest of the familys safety, we feel constantly let down by those that should be there to support not only us but son.

Children
No Data