"Hello", an imaginative title.

Hello everyone, it's taken a while to making my first post but finally got round to it.

Our Son was recently diagnosed with ASD. When we were told, the weight that lifted from our shoulders was immense knowing that finally he would get the help and support we knew he needed (I'm sure there are some of you saying "Aye, right you naive soul").

Of course, receiving the diagnosis has raised many more questions than answers. But I'll save them for another time as many of these I'm struggling to formulate, but when I do I'm sure I'll be looking to those who have walked this road before me.

Parents
  • Hi Birdie, I've read so many books over the past few months the problem I find is that the behaviours described in many of these books just don't match those we see in our Son. So trying to find suitable strategies is proving difficult. I think the hardest thing is trying to adapt our way of thinking and reacting to the things our Son does. Currently we're waiting for a place on a course through our local CAMHS which hopefully will, at least, give us the chance to meet other parents and perhaps make us realise that we're not doing too badly.

I hope you and your son manage to get through the system quickly, we were lucky in that it took around 18 months from first referal to final diagnosis.

• Hi Birdie, I've read so many books over the past few months the problem I find is that the behaviours described in many of these books just don't match those we see in our Son. So trying to find suitable strategies is proving difficult. I think the hardest thing is trying to adapt our way of thinking and reacting to the things our Son does. Currently we're waiting for a place on a course through our local CAMHS which hopefully will, at least, give us the chance to meet other parents and perhaps make us realise that we're not doing too badly.

I hope you and your son manage to get through the system quickly, we were lucky in that it took around 18 months from first referal to final diagnosis.

Children
No Data