Diagnosed at 47

Hi all

I have been in the mental health system since my 30s, but I won't start on that or we'll be here all day. Let's just leave it at being diagnosed with GAD, depression, panic atttacks and social phobia.

After getting nowhere and just seeming to add to the list of "diagnoses" depending on which counsellor or CBT therapist I saw a lovely therapist finally asked the question.. Have you ever been assessed for Aspergers.

This is something  have been wondering about for ages but didnt know where to start. But about 6 months ago or more a very helpful GP managed to track down a local ASD diagnostic service for adults and off I toddled.

A very thorough assessment process later resulted in a diagnosis of ASD today, specifically around "aspergers" . I know its not a magic wand but the relief at finally having a diagnosis that actually makes sense and encompasses all the issues I have is massive.

Parents
  • Some interesting parallels (and differences) there.  My civil partner constantly reminds me of the time about twenty years ago when I accused him - while watching TV together - of breathing too loudly!  That wouldn't bother me now as my hearing has deteriorated so much.

I tend to nod off involuntarily during the day, if I sit down to read or watch a film, but I've needed prescription sleeping pills at night for most of the last fifteen years.  I hate being dependent on them but every other remedy has failed.

At school and university I obtained mostly very good results (even though it was probably the unhappiest period of my life) simply because I was excellent at memorising and reproducing information and the opinions of experts, whether I was interested or not.  That's about all that was required in my subjects in those days - thinking for oneself, or airing one's own views, was actively discouraged!

I'm currently participating in the ADEPT trial designed to develop Guided Self-Help for adults with autism and depression.  I believe this is based on CBT but I won't get to know as I was randomly allocated to "Treatment As Usual" i.e. the Control group not receiving the newly created treatment!  If you haven't heard of this study, it might be worth investigating, especially as you also have a professional interest in this area.

• Some interesting parallels (and differences) there.  My civil partner constantly reminds me of the time about twenty years ago when I accused him - while watching TV together - of breathing too loudly!  That wouldn't bother me now as my hearing has deteriorated so much.

I tend to nod off involuntarily during the day, if I sit down to read or watch a film, but I've needed prescription sleeping pills at night for most of the last fifteen years.  I hate being dependent on them but every other remedy has failed.

At school and university I obtained mostly very good results (even though it was probably the unhappiest period of my life) simply because I was excellent at memorising and reproducing information and the opinions of experts, whether I was interested or not.  That's about all that was required in my subjects in those days - thinking for oneself, or airing one's own views, was actively discouraged!

I'm currently participating in the ADEPT trial designed to develop Guided Self-Help for adults with autism and depression.  I believe this is based on CBT but I won't get to know as I was randomly allocated to "Treatment As Usual" i.e. the Control group not receiving the newly created treatment!  If you haven't heard of this study, it might be worth investigating, especially as you also have a professional interest in this area.

Children
No Data