Diagnosed at 47

Hi all

I have been in the mental health system since my 30s, but I won't start on that or we'll be here all day. Let's just leave it at being diagnosed with GAD, depression, panic atttacks and social phobia.

After getting nowhere and just seeming to add to the list of "diagnoses" depending on which counsellor or CBT therapist I saw a lovely therapist finally asked the question.. Have you ever been assessed for Aspergers.

This is something  have been wondering about for ages but didnt know where to start. But about 6 months ago or more a very helpful GP managed to track down a local ASD diagnostic service for adults and off I toddled.

A very thorough assessment process later resulted in a diagnosis of ASD today, specifically around "aspergers" . I know its not a magic wand but the relief at finally having a diagnosis that actually makes sense and encompasses all the issues I have is massive.

Parents
  • Hi thanks for the reply that's interesting about insomnia because my sleep patterns have never been great. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat during the day but at night I have terrible trouble sleeping, waking every hour and taking hours to fall asleep.

I found CBT really helpful but then I have issues from childhood and before CBT I had massive problems with self esteem and anger.  I feel more settled now I have a proper diagnosis.  I also had to give up work, I struggled and struggled up until about 5 years ago when I completely caved in and trying to fit in just became too much. since then I've been on ESA, under permanent cloud of reassessment which is very stressful. 

Since leaving work I've gone back into education, I had a couple of years just trying to regroup and come to terms with the fact that my mental health problems weren't getting any better, particular the social problems. Then I retook my GCSEs which I got straight As for :D Shows the difference between lack of support in schools where I scraped through CSEs as they were then. The adult education centre were great and even though I wasn't diagnosed they let me wear earplugs for the exams as I got so stressed by the sounds of people writing, moving and just generally breathing. Since then I've started a degree in Psychology, in my 3rd year of a 6 year part time course with the OU and I'm loving it. I want to be a CBT practitioner or help in schools. I have just finished a two year stint as a volunteer co-educator with SEN kids in a secondary school which I have given up to focus on my studies, but it was so useful.

• Hi thanks for the reply that's interesting about insomnia because my sleep patterns have never been great. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat during the day but at night I have terrible trouble sleeping, waking every hour and taking hours to fall asleep.

I found CBT really helpful but then I have issues from childhood and before CBT I had massive problems with self esteem and anger.  I feel more settled now I have a proper diagnosis.  I also had to give up work, I struggled and struggled up until about 5 years ago when I completely caved in and trying to fit in just became too much. since then I've been on ESA, under permanent cloud of reassessment which is very stressful. 

Since leaving work I've gone back into education, I had a couple of years just trying to regroup and come to terms with the fact that my mental health problems weren't getting any better, particular the social problems. Then I retook my GCSEs which I got straight As for :D Shows the difference between lack of support in schools where I scraped through CSEs as they were then. The adult education centre were great and even though I wasn't diagnosed they let me wear earplugs for the exams as I got so stressed by the sounds of people writing, moving and just generally breathing. Since then I've started a degree in Psychology, in my 3rd year of a 6 year part time course with the OU and I'm loving it. I want to be a CBT practitioner or help in schools. I have just finished a two year stint as a volunteer co-educator with SEN kids in a secondary school which I have given up to focus on my studies, but it was so useful.

Children
No Data