Diagnosed at 23 - Hello

Hello everyone, 

My name is Jake and I was diagnosed with autism only 2 weeks ago.

This came about through my workplace as they recognised that my anxiety and panic disorder seemed to have similar patterns to someone who is autistic.

I'm currently very confused, upset, angry, sad a whole mix of emotions (though it's become apparent that actually my perception of emotions is very different from everyone elses so these might not be the right words at all).

I have an immense amount of support around me, however I am finding it quite difficult on a daily basis at the moment. Especially with Christmas just around the corner, and having lost my younger sister 8 weeks ago. It's a hell of a roller coaster I'm on at the moment and I have no control over the direction in which it's going. Well, that's how it feels anyway.

I'm hoping to have the full report sent through soon so I can gain a better understanding of where I fall on the autistic spectrum, and then research and understand what exactly it is that I'm living with. At the end of the day, knowledge is power right?

I'm looking forward to hearing back from people who have been in the same situation as me, with such a late diagnosis, and hoping someone else can at least begin to understand what it is I'm going through.  

Parents
  • Hi Jake

I am 62 and have only just been diagnosed.  I just wish that I'd be diagnosed much earlier.

Remember it does not change you.  You are the same person you always were.  You have your strengths and weaknesses.  I look on my diagnosis as a positive thing.  Far from closing doors, it will open them.

Losing a close relative is always a traumatic experience and I certainly can feel the grief you feel.  And anything I say will sound trite and probably not help you over this.  So I would just say to take advantage of any bereavement counselling you can and the support of family members.

Back to your ASD, you are lucky to have an understanding workplace.  There is a scheme called 'access to work' which may be able to help with your workplace providing the adjustments you require, they will assess for you your requirements and make recommendations and provide money to help with this provision.  And while not compulsory for your workplace to follow these recommendations, your workplace would be well advised to follow them.

Access to work

In my case, the ASD did not cause me problems until a lot of changes were brought into the workplace at once.  My ASD had primed a bomb waiting for detonation within me and the changes at work were what the bomb needed for the detonation.  I suffered severe stress and anxiety and was off work for over five months (I've only been back two months now).  My mind was confused with conflicting instructions, I was mentally exhausted and totally unfit for work at that time.  My workplace was very reluctant to provide adjustments so my diagnosis has certainly given me good reasons for these, and I have approached Access to Work.

Although I have an ASD this does not mean I am incapable of adapting my behaviour.  This takes a considerable time and there is often a reversion, and a lot of my adaptive behaviour is simply 'acting' lines that have been learned.  However this can lead to a situation occurring when the 'play' I am in is not the one I thought and there are no appropriate learned lines available. 

But the one thing I would say is that I would not want to change the way I am.  I am me with all my design attributes.  And why would I want to change that?

• Hi Jake

I am 62 and have only just been diagnosed.  I just wish that I'd be diagnosed much earlier.

Remember it does not change you.  You are the same person you always were.  You have your strengths and weaknesses.  I look on my diagnosis as a positive thing.  Far from closing doors, it will open them.

Losing a close relative is always a traumatic experience and I certainly can feel the grief you feel.  And anything I say will sound trite and probably not help you over this.  So I would just say to take advantage of any bereavement counselling you can and the support of family members.

Back to your ASD, you are lucky to have an understanding workplace.  There is a scheme called 'access to work' which may be able to help with your workplace providing the adjustments you require, they will assess for you your requirements and make recommendations and provide money to help with this provision.  And while not compulsory for your workplace to follow these recommendations, your workplace would be well advised to follow them.

Access to work

In my case, the ASD did not cause me problems until a lot of changes were brought into the workplace at once.  My ASD had primed a bomb waiting for detonation within me and the changes at work were what the bomb needed for the detonation.  I suffered severe stress and anxiety and was off work for over five months (I've only been back two months now).  My mind was confused with conflicting instructions, I was mentally exhausted and totally unfit for work at that time.  My workplace was very reluctant to provide adjustments so my diagnosis has certainly given me good reasons for these, and I have approached Access to Work.

Although I have an ASD this does not mean I am incapable of adapting my behaviour.  This takes a considerable time and there is often a reversion, and a lot of my adaptive behaviour is simply 'acting' lines that have been learned.  However this can lead to a situation occurring when the 'play' I am in is not the one I thought and there are no appropriate learned lines available. 

But the one thing I would say is that I would not want to change the way I am.  I am me with all my design attributes.  And why would I want to change that?

Children
No Data