Hello from Forest

Hi all

I am here to get more information on Autism and more specifically Aspergers.

All my life I have felt that something is not right with me, many people have told me this and I am unable to disagree with this statement. Although I am capable of understanding advanced computational priniciples and being refered to as a natural problem solver, I can't seem to understand people, or solve the problems that I have with human interaction. It has been suggested by one of my previous therapists that I may be on the ASD spectrum, something that I dismissed at the time due to misunderstandings about ASD, but having had it suggested again by another therapist am forced to consider it as a possibility.

I will leave my introduction at that and take the remainder of what I have to say to the appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read my introduction.

Forest

Parents
  • Blues said:

I have issues with mannerisms and, ok,i know if someone's angry but the way they talk just......confuses me. I just can't get sarcasm some times either. Would these be ASD traits? 

Also I am ok with computers at best, and wouldn't say I'm overly intelligent. But i study a lot on a few subjects, but these change over time usually.

See, sarcasm can be quite subtle at times and if the person giving the sarcasm doesn't really give you many non-verbal clues such as tone of voice, facial expression, etc., it's not always that obvious it's meant to be sarcasm.

Also, some sarcasm can be culture based. Some American sarcasm, for example, can be hard to spot until you've experienced it a bit. 

Then there's 'sophisticated' sarcasm where the person being sarcastic is doing it in a way that you would need to be quite educated to get.

I suppose if you never understood that sarcasm was being made that most other people would understand as sarcasm then, yes, that would indicate an Aspie nature. It's all relative to what average people experience.

• Blues said:

I have issues with mannerisms and, ok,i know if someone's angry but the way they talk just......confuses me. I just can't get sarcasm some times either. Would these be ASD traits? 

Also I am ok with computers at best, and wouldn't say I'm overly intelligent. But i study a lot on a few subjects, but these change over time usually.

See, sarcasm can be quite subtle at times and if the person giving the sarcasm doesn't really give you many non-verbal clues such as tone of voice, facial expression, etc., it's not always that obvious it's meant to be sarcasm.

Also, some sarcasm can be culture based. Some American sarcasm, for example, can be hard to spot until you've experienced it a bit. 

Then there's 'sophisticated' sarcasm where the person being sarcastic is doing it in a way that you would need to be quite educated to get.

I suppose if you never understood that sarcasm was being made that most other people would understand as sarcasm then, yes, that would indicate an Aspie nature. It's all relative to what average people experience.

Children
No Data