Hello from Forest

Hi all

I am here to get more information on Autism and more specifically Aspergers.

All my life I have felt that something is not right with me, many people have told me this and I am unable to disagree with this statement. Although I am capable of understanding advanced computational priniciples and being refered to as a natural problem solver, I can't seem to understand people, or solve the problems that I have with human interaction. It has been suggested by one of my previous therapists that I may be on the ASD spectrum, something that I dismissed at the time due to misunderstandings about ASD, but having had it suggested again by another therapist am forced to consider it as a possibility.

I will leave my introduction at that and take the remainder of what I have to say to the appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read my introduction.

Forest

• It appears the forums are moderated by a moderation bot, which uses algorithms to determine what needs moderating and what can be posted. If something gets stopped it goes into a holding area for someone to release it, from the lack of the post appearing one of 3 situations is likely to be true.

1- nobody checks it, messages just build up there to be forgotten about for eternity.

2- it is checked, but not regularly, there isn't many mods and they get round to them when they can

3- It's already been checked, someone didn't get my sarcasm and decided it should be blocked, and notifications aren't set up to let people know moderation outcomes.

• Blues said:

ForestP.

Can they do that?  The mods I mean.  Also how many are there?

Anyone know?

Do what?

• ForestP.

Can they do that?  The mods I mean.  Also how many are there?

Anyone know?

• ForestP said:

Yea. That was what I thought, I did actually reply with something similar, albeit a bit more technical. Qlthough it got held up by the moderators. Provably because I referenced doing something that could cause problems with your computer (but did make it clear that was the case).

Maybe it will appear at some point, maybe it will be censored....

Forest

Hope you're not gonna send me a virus! (Joking)

• Yea. That was what I thought, I did actually reply with something similar, albeit a bit more technical. Qlthough it got held up by the moderators. Provably because I referenced doing something that could cause problems with your computer (but did make it clear that was the case).

Maybe it will appear at some point, maybe it will be censored....

Forest

• Ahh, that kind of sarcasm, got you.

• Blues said:

Sorry lmw but what is sophisticated sarcasm?

Well, it's the kind of sarcasm that, to be understood, you have to be somewhat knowledgeable about the subject being talked about.

For example, it could be a remark about literature, art, science, etc., where the person making the sarcastic remark says something that is an 'in' comment. It won't necessarily seem very sarcastic to an outsider because you have to have an interest in the subject to understand what is being said.

Take football.

If I said, for example, I think the new England manager was going to win the next World Cup for us because he was so brilliant in his former career, many football fans would probably realize I was being somewhat sarcastic.

• Sorry lmw but what is sophisticated sarcasm?

• I suppose it depends who the sarcasm comes from then. Ah I see.

Thats why some people have said to me "That's sarcasm by the way", when I go blank.

• Blues said:

I have issues with mannerisms and, ok,i know if someone's angry but the way they talk just......confuses me. I just can't get sarcasm some times either. Would these be ASD traits? 

Also I am ok with computers at best, and wouldn't say I'm overly intelligent. But i study a lot on a few subjects, but these change over time usually.

See, sarcasm can be quite subtle at times and if the person giving the sarcasm doesn't really give you many non-verbal clues such as tone of voice, facial expression, etc., it's not always that obvious it's meant to be sarcasm.

Also, some sarcasm can be culture based. Some American sarcasm, for example, can be hard to spot until you've experienced it a bit. 

Then there's 'sophisticated' sarcasm where the person being sarcastic is doing it in a way that you would need to be quite educated to get.

I suppose if you never understood that sarcasm was being made that most other people would understand as sarcasm then, yes, that would indicate an Aspie nature. It's all relative to what average people experience.

• I have issues with mannerisms and, ok,i know if someone's angry but the way they talk just......confuses me. I just can't get sarcasm some times either. Would these be ASD traits? 

Also I am ok with computers at best, and wouldn't say I'm overly intelligent. But i study a lot on a few subjects, but these change over time usually.

• Well, computers are predictable while people are often not, which is why people who tend to think logically prefer 'things' to people. 2+2 will always be equal to 4 but people can vary from one moment to the next because they are very complex and some people aren't able to cope with that because they are not designed to.

Most people have an inbuilt ability to 'read' other people to a greater or lesser extent because it is something in their genetic and environmental 'programming' but people on the spectrum lack this ability. However, it is possible to learn, intellectually, how to read people to some extent, although this isn't easy. It just requires practice and a willingness to learn.

• Good with computers and techology in general, rubbish with people? Me too.

You sound like you could indeed be on the spectrum.