Could I have Aspergers?

Hi,

Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and sorry if I'm too young (16). 

For a year or so I have wondered if I might have Aspergers (I'm a 16 year old female), and wondered what people here think?

I have always been the shy and socially awkward kid who doesn't really fit in, and I have been bullied/teased for not fitting in (e.g not wearing makeup). Possibly as a result, I tend to avoid talking to people I don't know (through fear of getting it wrong I suppose, before when I've tried what I've said has never seemed right if that makes sense?), and absolutley avoid eye contact because I find it awkward and uncomfortable, even for a second. At school, I am generally in the top sets, being especially strong in maths (perhaps one of the best in the year). Although, I do doubt myself and my abilities, and always have to triple (if not more) check the time and details if I am meeting someone or going somewhere.

I didn't realise it before, but I do become obsessed with things. For example, a few years ago (and still) it was a pony, when I was younger I was interested in mountain goats and had a folder full of information about them!! In addition, I used to have a lot of tantrums and strops when I was younger (perhaps meltdowns?), and cracked the paintwork in my room through slamming the door!

There are a few more things but I feel like I've written too much already!! Could this be Aspergers, or is it just me trying to explain why I don't fit in? 

Thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry again if I have posted this in the wrong place x

Parents
  • recombinantsocks said:

I just did that test and got 44! Last time I did that test I was around 36. Am I getting worse!?

No, not worse, perhaps more aware of yourself and more honest or accurate with your answers?

A keen interest in ponies is fairly common in teenage girls! Some of the other behaviours are suggestive of autistic behaviour but they may, or may not, indicate a problem. You may well be on the autistic spectrum but that does not mean that you have a problem that needs any intervention or help. Some times people with the traits can manage perfectly well - I managed for a long time but eventually found myself in a situation where I couldn't fit in so things came off the rails a bit.

Many people with Aspergers really struggle and have anxieties or depression or other mental health issues. Do you have any problems like that or do you feel different and left out?

[/quote]

In terms of other problems, I do get quite anxious, especially in new situations (I woory then annoy other people as I end up keep asking them the same questions to check, e.g what time is the event? etc.), and I won't talk in front of a class or anything (I get too nervous). I was fairly down for most of this year (never got diagnosed but had a large majority of symptom for depression), but that's slowly getting better. I'm not really sure otherwise.

• recombinantsocks said:

I just did that test and got 44! Last time I did that test I was around 36. Am I getting worse!?

No, not worse, perhaps more aware of yourself and more honest or accurate with your answers?

A keen interest in ponies is fairly common in teenage girls! Some of the other behaviours are suggestive of autistic behaviour but they may, or may not, indicate a problem. You may well be on the autistic spectrum but that does not mean that you have a problem that needs any intervention or help. Some times people with the traits can manage perfectly well - I managed for a long time but eventually found myself in a situation where I couldn't fit in so things came off the rails a bit.

Many people with Aspergers really struggle and have anxieties or depression or other mental health issues. Do you have any problems like that or do you feel different and left out?

[/quote]

In terms of other problems, I do get quite anxious, especially in new situations (I woory then annoy other people as I end up keep asking them the same questions to check, e.g what time is the event? etc.), and I won't talk in front of a class or anything (I get too nervous). I was fairly down for most of this year (never got diagnosed but had a large majority of symptom for depression), but that's slowly getting better. I'm not really sure otherwise.

Children
No Data