Hi i need some advice / help . I am desperate

Hi Folks hoping some other parent has been in the same position as me. I am getting very frustrated with myself for being unable to help my adult child in thier late 20's .  I now believe quite strongly he is on the autistic spectrum. He is isolated, has rigorous routines (I can set my watch by him) and will not detract from them.  Does notcommunicate with all of us, sits in bedroom, gets in to a blind panic when i make him eat at the table on a few occassions, loves words, super intelligent etc etc....but I cannot find a way to get him to come to the docs with me. He will chat and play with our dog...who I actually got because I read that sufferers would 'communicate ' with animals.  I am hoping someone has had this experiance and may be able to help me , offer me guidance or point me to some group who may be able to help.

Oh and he will talk when he is on the phone.!

thanks for reading. 

Parents
  • Thank you for all your valuable comments it is so helpful some of these points. I will try them .  I know how embedded into his computer he is.  I have tried emailing him  just to see if he will reply ...but he doesn't.  He does answer the phone. 

I have mentioned many times that we will not be here for ever ...he just shakes.  I know im handling it all wrong and believe it or not i work with many autistic students in a variety points on the spectrum. They are all very young. I am just clueless as apart from staying calm , direct questions and instructions which all work.  I cant get past the barrier. 

He always says :_ I am different to others. He first said this when he was 16 and I missed the opportunity then....beat myself up. 

Can I get someone to come to our home if all else fails:_ Has anyone any experiance of this when you are faced with an adult!

Sorry I ramble I am just very frustrated and anxious.  I speak to him in a different way to everyone else in the house.

I have thought of going sitting in his bedroom and working there too...but I am sure he will just walk. 

I will try the non verbal approach with lots of ideas from here.  Anyone got any thoughts on how I could start this letter?

Desperate LeedsLASS

• Thank you for all your valuable comments it is so helpful some of these points. I will try them .  I know how embedded into his computer he is.  I have tried emailing him  just to see if he will reply ...but he doesn't.  He does answer the phone. 

I have mentioned many times that we will not be here for ever ...he just shakes.  I know im handling it all wrong and believe it or not i work with many autistic students in a variety points on the spectrum. They are all very young. I am just clueless as apart from staying calm , direct questions and instructions which all work.  I cant get past the barrier. 

He always says :_ I am different to others. He first said this when he was 16 and I missed the opportunity then....beat myself up. 

Can I get someone to come to our home if all else fails:_ Has anyone any experiance of this when you are faced with an adult!

Sorry I ramble I am just very frustrated and anxious.  I speak to him in a different way to everyone else in the house.

I have thought of going sitting in his bedroom and working there too...but I am sure he will just walk. 

I will try the non verbal approach with lots of ideas from here.  Anyone got any thoughts on how I could start this letter?

Desperate LeedsLASS

Children
No Data