Hello

Hello all im new here and would like to introduce myself my name is Steve and i work on the railway doing maintenance work. Ive worked there for about 12 years now i dont like it but the money is good and im excited to buy my first house at the end of the year. Well the main reason i decided to join this community is that i am in a bit of a predicament and was wondering if there is anybody out there that can give me their honest opinion? What it is i recently watched a lot of bbcs documentarys about autism and suddenly realised that most of those chilrens "habbits"? Was like looking at me when i was a child and still now as an adult in most ways anyway i decided to do an aq test out of curiosity expecting maybe a 18 or 20 score but i got a 36 and then with the eq and sq i got 14 and 15 i know they arent proper diagnosis but i feel i cant get a formal diagnosis as my work is classed as safety critical communication and i worry that i will fail my medical if i am diagnosed has anyone got any ideas? And sorry for the rambling i never know what im supposed to say

Parents
  • The GP I saw said the AQ test results can vary according to your mood, for example most people who are depressed won't feel like doing things with others or going to a party. But I've always felt more comfortable in libraries and museums than parties or concerts and have always been a bit of a loner. Apart from my husband, I only have one real friend but I'm happy with that. I don't go to work social events as I don't enjoy them. 

Anyway, I'm rambling on now so I'll try to get to the point.  I'm no expert but I think maybe you're "over thinking" your answers? If you're not sure, think about how you would behave most of the time. 

A score of over 32 generally indicates you are on the autism spectrum, however my friend scored 28 compared to my 41 and she is like me in a lot of ways. I originally wanted a diagnosis because I had been going through a period of extreme anxiety and wanted an explanation for my reactions, however people on the spectrum are very understanding and accepting and some people on here are self diagnosed, so don't worry about not being accepted. Other people will support and advise you as they've supported and advised me. 

• The GP I saw said the AQ test results can vary according to your mood, for example most people who are depressed won't feel like doing things with others or going to a party. But I've always felt more comfortable in libraries and museums than parties or concerts and have always been a bit of a loner. Apart from my husband, I only have one real friend but I'm happy with that. I don't go to work social events as I don't enjoy them. 

Anyway, I'm rambling on now so I'll try to get to the point.  I'm no expert but I think maybe you're "over thinking" your answers? If you're not sure, think about how you would behave most of the time. 

A score of over 32 generally indicates you are on the autism spectrum, however my friend scored 28 compared to my 41 and she is like me in a lot of ways. I originally wanted a diagnosis because I had been going through a period of extreme anxiety and wanted an explanation for my reactions, however people on the spectrum are very understanding and accepting and some people on here are self diagnosed, so don't worry about not being accepted. Other people will support and advise you as they've supported and advised me. 

Children
No Data