New to community - Meaning of Spectrum

HI

I just wanted to say hello to everyone here in hope to find some other people in similar situations and provide opportunities to share experiences and hopefully give and recieve advice and support.

I have 4 daughters aged 6 to 13.

My youngest is neurotypical and has to endure a lot from her 3 elder sisters all with ASD.  What has been a real eye opener is the true reality of the meaning of the word "SPECTRUM".  All our girls present differently, they each have their own needs and behavioural challenges and routines which differ from each others and I guess in some ways that makes my role even harder, as one girls stimming or coping strategy is the others trigger and vice versa and such. One is almost mute most of the time and another is never quiet or without something to yell and sing about (despite never speaking a word before age 6)!!  One will never leave her room without a meltdown, but another just can not be kept indoors what ever the weather or time of day.  So yes, very different.  One thing in common though is their level of anxiety, all 3 share a massively increased level of anxiety, but in different things.  2 struggle with social communication (the 9 year old most so) but one thinks everyone is her best friend, until they do something "wrong" (not as she wants ) but she would chat all day to anyone about her favourite stuff and not even notice they werent listening anymore whilst the younger would be hiding in a den or avoid people altogether.  Sensory issues are a major anxiety for them all, sounds, touch, or textures as well as smells being the worst, but each childs response is variable and the extent of each trigger varies between them also. There is constant conflict as I can not meet all their needs simultanously as they can be so opposite.  Whilst protecting one child I almost inadvertantly putting another right in the face of their trigger so to speak.

So i guess i am looking for ways to try and improve this situation, though right now, I feel like Ive tried it all over and over again, I am sure someone out there can offer me something new or remind me of something ive not tried for a while.  My head hurts !! LOL  

Thanks for reading my post

love to hear from anyone even in a similar situation or with any suggestions i could try.

xx

Parents
  • Hello

My name is Livvy and I have two younger sisters myself. I'm 19 (my sisters are nearly 17 and just 15) and I was diagnosed with Asperger's (when it was still called Asperger's) when I was 15. I often think how tough it has been for them, especially as I have quite prominent mental health issues including psychosis along with the ASC issues and this has caused problems for all of us. I spend a lot of my life guilty and unhappy at what my family have had to suffer because of me. But to be honest, indirectly I have to endure a lot from them as well, because it is really tough when I see my 16-year-old sister looking confident and beautiful, getting flowers from boys and seeming to go out every night with friends, when I have no friends, no relationship, no part-time job even though I am nearly three years older. I feel angry at myself for being so useless and unable to give big sisterly advice - whenever I try and talk to her she just tells me to go away, usually. It has hurt our relationship somewhat - some days I can't bring myself to speak to her properly, or I find myself making snidey comments because I'm so jealous; the jealousy is just boiling under my skin. I'm not a good person; I find it hard to be happy for them, having normal lives, when I can't have a normal life myself, but I'm going to university this September and am hoping to start a new life there, even though some days I don't feel very optimistic about it! Sorry to pour out to you a bit like that; I really hope the things I've written haven't alarmed you, my mum always says it's important to remember that I have a mental illness (bipolar disorder, and a lot of problems regulating my emotions) as well as autism and therefore that's going to affect my relationships too. What I'm really trying to say is, it is hard for neurotypical children to have autistic siblings fpr many reasons. But, although it's no one's fault, it can also be hard for autistic children to see their neurotypical siblings developing in a more conventional way and being more accepted amongst their peers and (often) more able to function in daily life, without the horrible meltdowns etc.

People do underestimate how sensory issues can affect people - I know my emotions are all over the place after I come home from a loud, bright place, and that's just me on my own, so I can't imagine how you manage triggers with three totally unique girls! It sounds like you are doing a great job: I don't have much advice because I'm not a parent and my sensory processing needs aren't as severe as a lot of other autistic people's are (at least, I don't think they are!) but do your daughters find squeezy sensory toys helpful? I have this ice pack that's full of blue beads and you can heat it up, freeze it, whatever you want to do, and I do find it quite calming. I often take it with me when I'm going to the cinema: I find the cinema a tad tricky, because of the sensory issues that go along with it (though like I said, my sensory processing needs aren't so significant that I have to go to relaxed screenings; I can easily cope with a regular screening and have never found that a particularly major challenge, though I know it definitely is for other people) but mainly because I just get bored and start wanting to pace around, so I find that helpful. That's the only real tip I can give, sorry, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with some really good advice!  

It is amazing how differently people across the spectrum present. No two autistic people present in the exact same way. We have a really close family friend who has an autistic nephew and an Asperger's niece, and they're brother and sister, but it just does not look like the same condition (I know gender is often a factor with presentation, but your girls sound as diverse amongst themselves). It's amazing to see; but challenging, I'm sure, as their needs often clash and as you say, when our friend's brother and sister-in-law are trying to protect one of their children, the other one is often triggered. It seems such a tough situation and we're always here if you need to vent.

Hope you and your girls have a good week,

Livvyxx

• Hello

My name is Livvy and I have two younger sisters myself. I'm 19 (my sisters are nearly 17 and just 15) and I was diagnosed with Asperger's (when it was still called Asperger's) when I was 15. I often think how tough it has been for them, especially as I have quite prominent mental health issues including psychosis along with the ASC issues and this has caused problems for all of us. I spend a lot of my life guilty and unhappy at what my family have had to suffer because of me. But to be honest, indirectly I have to endure a lot from them as well, because it is really tough when I see my 16-year-old sister looking confident and beautiful, getting flowers from boys and seeming to go out every night with friends, when I have no friends, no relationship, no part-time job even though I am nearly three years older. I feel angry at myself for being so useless and unable to give big sisterly advice - whenever I try and talk to her she just tells me to go away, usually. It has hurt our relationship somewhat - some days I can't bring myself to speak to her properly, or I find myself making snidey comments because I'm so jealous; the jealousy is just boiling under my skin. I'm not a good person; I find it hard to be happy for them, having normal lives, when I can't have a normal life myself, but I'm going to university this September and am hoping to start a new life there, even though some days I don't feel very optimistic about it! Sorry to pour out to you a bit like that; I really hope the things I've written haven't alarmed you, my mum always says it's important to remember that I have a mental illness (bipolar disorder, and a lot of problems regulating my emotions) as well as autism and therefore that's going to affect my relationships too. What I'm really trying to say is, it is hard for neurotypical children to have autistic siblings fpr many reasons. But, although it's no one's fault, it can also be hard for autistic children to see their neurotypical siblings developing in a more conventional way and being more accepted amongst their peers and (often) more able to function in daily life, without the horrible meltdowns etc.

People do underestimate how sensory issues can affect people - I know my emotions are all over the place after I come home from a loud, bright place, and that's just me on my own, so I can't imagine how you manage triggers with three totally unique girls! It sounds like you are doing a great job: I don't have much advice because I'm not a parent and my sensory processing needs aren't as severe as a lot of other autistic people's are (at least, I don't think they are!) but do your daughters find squeezy sensory toys helpful? I have this ice pack that's full of blue beads and you can heat it up, freeze it, whatever you want to do, and I do find it quite calming. I often take it with me when I'm going to the cinema: I find the cinema a tad tricky, because of the sensory issues that go along with it (though like I said, my sensory processing needs aren't so significant that I have to go to relaxed screenings; I can easily cope with a regular screening and have never found that a particularly major challenge, though I know it definitely is for other people) but mainly because I just get bored and start wanting to pace around, so I find that helpful. That's the only real tip I can give, sorry, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with some really good advice!  

It is amazing how differently people across the spectrum present. No two autistic people present in the exact same way. We have a really close family friend who has an autistic nephew and an Asperger's niece, and they're brother and sister, but it just does not look like the same condition (I know gender is often a factor with presentation, but your girls sound as diverse amongst themselves). It's amazing to see; but challenging, I'm sure, as their needs often clash and as you say, when our friend's brother and sister-in-law are trying to protect one of their children, the other one is often triggered. It seems such a tough situation and we're always here if you need to vent.

Hope you and your girls have a good week,

Livvyxx

Children
No Data