Adults with autism

Hi.  I'm the partner of someone who was only diagnosed with autism 'later in life'.  Don't know what others think, but it sometimes feels that there's nothing out there that helps partners cope with what (I think) are quite a unique set of problems and issues.

Parents
  • Hello there,

I'm also an adult who was diagnosed later in life.  I was diagnosed through a screening test when I was an adult learner at university.  Id always had a problem with groups of people, sound sensitivity, conversations, anxiety and social contact.  I was fortunate that I was able to pay for CBT and other therapies which enabled me to manage conversations and 'fit in' with neurotypical people.  I still struggle with social contact, I would by choice, seclude myself almost totally from people.  As a mum of three and a wife that's not possible ( incidentally my 'family' don't make me anxious but 'people' do!!)

I've found that talking to people with ASD or people who know about Autism is helpful.  Other parents of Autistic children can often give good advice and point out things that I've missed.  My husband is really helpful as he also has some social anxiety and so understands the difficulties.  I find online resources helpful, the more I read the less I feel that I'm alone.  I make myself go out and face 'people' everyday as this is my biggest source of anxiety.  I know that if I don't then it's all the more difficult the next time I have to.  West Midlands Autism can give you advice, they can offer a lot of support whether you have an official diagnosis or not.  You're not alone.  I think that there are many undiagnosed ASD adults around, especially women.

Take care.

• Hello there,

I'm also an adult who was diagnosed later in life.  I was diagnosed through a screening test when I was an adult learner at university.  Id always had a problem with groups of people, sound sensitivity, conversations, anxiety and social contact.  I was fortunate that I was able to pay for CBT and other therapies which enabled me to manage conversations and 'fit in' with neurotypical people.  I still struggle with social contact, I would by choice, seclude myself almost totally from people.  As a mum of three and a wife that's not possible ( incidentally my 'family' don't make me anxious but 'people' do!!)

I've found that talking to people with ASD or people who know about Autism is helpful.  Other parents of Autistic children can often give good advice and point out things that I've missed.  My husband is really helpful as he also has some social anxiety and so understands the difficulties.  I find online resources helpful, the more I read the less I feel that I'm alone.  I make myself go out and face 'people' everyday as this is my biggest source of anxiety.  I know that if I don't then it's all the more difficult the next time I have to.  West Midlands Autism can give you advice, they can offer a lot of support whether you have an official diagnosis or not.  You're not alone.  I think that there are many undiagnosed ASD adults around, especially women.

Take care.

Children
No Data