Adults with autism

Hi.  I'm the partner of someone who was only diagnosed with autism 'later in life'.  Don't know what others think, but it sometimes feels that there's nothing out there that helps partners cope with what (I think) are quite a unique set of problems and issues.

Parents
  • Hi BookReader,

I'm really sorry to read the end of your post, that's incredibly sad and unfortunate. It's such a shame that this man couldn't accept you just for being you...despite having done so for many years prior to you having a 'label' for your quirks! His loss I am sure will be someone elses gain as us ASD'ers have a lot to give!!

It's good that you find some solice here, I know I certainly do. I mirror your sentiments...it's fantastic to have found somewhere I can be me; no masks, no hiding, no false smiles or strange words that society makes me say, just me being honest and blunt.

It's also great that having the diagnosis has helped explain some of your behaviours, I know my diagnosis has helped me to start to make sense of why I am the way I am. We sound very similar as I have the same issues as you; hatred of crowds and people, an aversion to loud/high pitched noises, crushingly honest, regular meltdowns, days of mutism, taking things literally, outbursts of anger brought on by sheer frustration or annoyance etc etc. And we have the same diagnosis which I find fascinating as many people I speak to have been diagnosed with Aspergers and not HFA (I was told that they no longer diagnose Aspergers and now just call it ASD with a person falling somewhere on the spectrum).

Anyway, it's good that you're here amongst like-minded people

• Hi BookReader,

I'm really sorry to read the end of your post, that's incredibly sad and unfortunate. It's such a shame that this man couldn't accept you just for being you...despite having done so for many years prior to you having a 'label' for your quirks! His loss I am sure will be someone elses gain as us ASD'ers have a lot to give!!

It's good that you find some solice here, I know I certainly do. I mirror your sentiments...it's fantastic to have found somewhere I can be me; no masks, no hiding, no false smiles or strange words that society makes me say, just me being honest and blunt.

It's also great that having the diagnosis has helped explain some of your behaviours, I know my diagnosis has helped me to start to make sense of why I am the way I am. We sound very similar as I have the same issues as you; hatred of crowds and people, an aversion to loud/high pitched noises, crushingly honest, regular meltdowns, days of mutism, taking things literally, outbursts of anger brought on by sheer frustration or annoyance etc etc. And we have the same diagnosis which I find fascinating as many people I speak to have been diagnosed with Aspergers and not HFA (I was told that they no longer diagnose Aspergers and now just call it ASD with a person falling somewhere on the spectrum).

Anyway, it's good that you're here amongst like-minded people

Children
No Data