Adults with autism

Hi.  I'm the partner of someone who was only diagnosed with autism 'later in life'.  Don't know what others think, but it sometimes feels that there's nothing out there that helps partners cope with what (I think) are quite a unique set of problems and issues.

Parents
  • Hi CatLady,

I couldn't agree with you more, there is virtually nothing out there for adults diagnosed later in life, in fact there is little on adult autism that is useful at all! I am 31 have been diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, everything I have learned about my condition has either come from the very expensive pyschiatrist that I pay weekly to see or from spending hours on Google researching my condition (slim picking I'm afraid as there is virtually no information on females with HFA!!)

Anyway, I wanted to make this new news as easy to understand as I could for my husband so he could come to terms with what this diagnosis meant for me, him and us. I carefully selected a few articles/blogs from online and combined them into almost like a little pack for him to read, highlighting bits that I found particulary relevant for me. Once he had read it, we sat down together and he asked me all sorts of questions about how HFA affects me, what gets to me, what sets off a meltdown, what can he do to support me. It was really helpful as I was able to take my time and try explain to him the sorts of things that affect me and what things would help me. It was hard being so honest with him but it was really helpful for us both as now he has a much better understanding of my condition, he can help me more and in turn I can try see things from his point of view slightly better.

• Hi CatLady,

I couldn't agree with you more, there is virtually nothing out there for adults diagnosed later in life, in fact there is little on adult autism that is useful at all! I am 31 have been diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, everything I have learned about my condition has either come from the very expensive pyschiatrist that I pay weekly to see or from spending hours on Google researching my condition (slim picking I'm afraid as there is virtually no information on females with HFA!!)

Anyway, I wanted to make this new news as easy to understand as I could for my husband so he could come to terms with what this diagnosis meant for me, him and us. I carefully selected a few articles/blogs from online and combined them into almost like a little pack for him to read, highlighting bits that I found particulary relevant for me. Once he had read it, we sat down together and he asked me all sorts of questions about how HFA affects me, what gets to me, what sets off a meltdown, what can he do to support me. It was really helpful as I was able to take my time and try explain to him the sorts of things that affect me and what things would help me. It was hard being so honest with him but it was really helpful for us both as now he has a much better understanding of my condition, he can help me more and in turn I can try see things from his point of view slightly better.

Children
No Data