Hi Everyone

Hi,

30 year old male here...

I've joined to find out about other peoples experiences of living with aspergers (which I suspect I have - I've done multiple AQ tests and get 44 upwards / 50 depending on who's test it is).

I've been struggling since as far as I can remember (probably since about the age of 5) to do all the normal day to day things which everyone around me seem to do perfectly well. I've always struggled to speak / interact with "normal" people, They don't understand me and they rapidly become bored of me.

Recently I had a complete meltdown and I ended up in A&E after a suicide attempt, and have now been referred to the local psych team - I'm hoping to get them to diagnose my ASD (if that is what it is)

I have no friends now, my parents don't really care anymore as they think I'm just an idiot who likes to act in a manner outside of the social norms, my sister is the only one who I have to talk to and its becoming clear that she can't really handle all of this - she has her own problems.

So, I've joined this forum to hopefully find some likeminded people to talk to.

C

Parents
  • You are absolutely right about the invisibility problem and being accused of laziness and being difficult. Same here, it is a very difficult thing to describe to people and it is a hard thing for other people to understand. There is a very real Catch 22 problem in the difficulty of someone with communication problems trying to communicate clearly to people who have no experience of anything like this. I actually am getting to the point where I am not going to try to explain this to people as I struggle to explain it and they don't get it and I can't expect them to understand.

Mental health is simply not as scientific as other medical sciences - misdiagnosis is an everyday thing and a lot of it is trial and error. It is possible that your father was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia - this has been mentioned before on the forum. Divorce and family break up is common with any mental health problem but particularly common with undiagnosed autism. The impact of this on a child with communication problems will compound any issues that you have from the autism itself.

Having said all that there is lots of stuff to learn about the condition and how to live with it. Knowledge is definitely powerful in our situation.

• You are absolutely right about the invisibility problem and being accused of laziness and being difficult. Same here, it is a very difficult thing to describe to people and it is a hard thing for other people to understand. There is a very real Catch 22 problem in the difficulty of someone with communication problems trying to communicate clearly to people who have no experience of anything like this. I actually am getting to the point where I am not going to try to explain this to people as I struggle to explain it and they don't get it and I can't expect them to understand.

Mental health is simply not as scientific as other medical sciences - misdiagnosis is an everyday thing and a lot of it is trial and error. It is possible that your father was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia - this has been mentioned before on the forum. Divorce and family break up is common with any mental health problem but particularly common with undiagnosed autism. The impact of this on a child with communication problems will compound any issues that you have from the autism itself.

Having said all that there is lots of stuff to learn about the condition and how to live with it. Knowledge is definitely powerful in our situation.

Children
No Data