Hi, I am new, 11 yr old son diagnosed today

Hi,

I am new to this site, my 11 yr old was diagnosed with aspergers today. Feeling a little mixed - relief that there is an explanation for how he is, but so incredibly sad for him - and guilt at how confused he must have been at the times I told him off for being rude or throwing a tantrum, or not showing any empathy etc etc....

Not sure what happens now, or where we go from here.

G x

Parents
  • Hi, I remember a similar feeling when my sons got their diagnoses, it's such a time of mixed emotions.  Remember that your lad is the same boy he's always been ... take your time to let the diagnosis sink in.  Depending on where you live I think there are different sources of help and support available.  We have a carers' centre in the town I live in and it's been an invaluable source of information and support.  I've got to know other parents and have made some really good friends who I know understand and care.  Thinking of you, it's not an easy time.

• Hi, I remember a similar feeling when my sons got their diagnoses, it's such a time of mixed emotions.  Remember that your lad is the same boy he's always been ... take your time to let the diagnosis sink in.  Depending on where you live I think there are different sources of help and support available.  We have a carers' centre in the town I live in and it's been an invaluable source of information and support.  I've got to know other parents and have made some really good friends who I know understand and care.  Thinking of you, it's not an easy time.

Children
No Data