Hi, I am new, 11 yr old son diagnosed today

Hi,

I am new to this site, my 11 yr old was diagnosed with aspergers today. Feeling a little mixed - relief that there is an explanation for how he is, but so incredibly sad for him - and guilt at how confused he must have been at the times I told him off for being rude or throwing a tantrum, or not showing any empathy etc etc....

Not sure what happens now, or where we go from here.

G x

• Hi for me I. Think the best thing you can do is to learn as much about autism as you can, not just aspergers, to help you get into the mind set of your son. My wife and I hVe done this very thing for the past 2 years with my 8 year old daughter, although she hasnt had a full diagnosis yet. If you can see why they get confused or throw a wobbly it makes it that bit easier to bring them down or help them through a given situation. Any more help am happy to ablige.

• Hi, I remember a similar feeling when my sons got their diagnoses, it's such a time of mixed emotions.  Remember that your lad is the same boy he's always been ... take your time to let the diagnosis sink in.  Depending on where you live I think there are different sources of help and support available.  We have a carers' centre in the town I live in and it's been an invaluable source of information and support.  I've got to know other parents and have made some really good friends who I know understand and care.  Thinking of you, it's not an easy time.