11 year old just diagnosed with High Functioning Autism

Hi

I live near Chester and my 11 year old son was diagnosed on Sunday with High Functioning Autism. We suspected for quite a while about ASD but it still came as a blow to us. 

We had to go private for the assessment as we were told we would have to wait 10 months to be assessed via CAMHS. Feeling lost and helpless now. Not sure what to do next and very keen to speak/meet people in same position.

Parents
  • Olto123 said:

Hi

I live near Chester and my 11 year old son was diagnosed on Sunday with High Functioning Autism. We suspected for quite a while about ASD but it still came as a blow to us. 

We had to go private for the assessment as we were told we would have to wait 10 months to be assessed via CAMHS. Feeling lost and helpless now. Not sure what to do next and very keen to speak/meet people in same position.

Having high functioning Autism can actually be a blessing. It depends how you raise your child and create a space where his mind can thrive.

I don't mind helping out. I've just been watching programs on BBC Autism week and its almost like looking in the mirror.

Anyway I'm 32 high functioning autistic. Was diagnosed at 6 to 7.

• Olto123 said:

Hi

Having high functioning Autism can actually be a blessing. It depends how you raise your child and create a space where his mind can thrive.

I don't mind helping out. I've just been watching programs on BBC Autism week and its almost like looking in the mirror.

Anyway I'm 32 high functioning autistic. Was diagnosed at 6 to 7.

Children
No Data