11 year old just diagnosed with High Functioning Autism

Hi

I live near Chester and my 11 year old son was diagnosed on Sunday with High Functioning Autism. We suspected for quite a while about ASD but it still came as a blow to us. 

We had to go private for the assessment as we were told we would have to wait 10 months to be assessed via CAMHS. Feeling lost and helpless now. Not sure what to do next and very keen to speak/meet people in same position.

Parents
  • Hi,

Sorry you are feeling lost now the diagnosis has been made for your son. It is life changing. Our 8 year old was diagnosed with 'classic' ASD when he was nearly 4. He has little speech, although this is developing, but he is the happiest one of our three children!

We have recently been for the ADOS with our 9 year old son, who suffers from high levels of anxiety, struggles with imaginative tasks and has sensory issues surrounding smells and tastes which severely affect his diet. He is doing so well at school, has a small group of friends and to the outside world, seems to be doing okay. But he is like a swan, paddling furiously to appear 'normal'. It takes an awful lot of effort on our part to 'keep him going', deal with his worries, keep him believing in himself, trying to build his confidence etc. We haven't had a diagnosis yet, but are due to see a paediatrician on 29/3 to discuss the report from the ADOS. I'm worried that a diagnosis will mean people judge him without meeting him - I'm worried about how it will affect him getting a job in the future. But I do feel it will help people to understand why he is the way he is...I'm trying to see it less as a 'label' more of an explanation for his quirky personality. Most people wouldn't be able to tell he has any worries or issues. He keeps them well hidden at school and it's only if you spend any length of time with him, or he is in an environment that is out of his comfort zone or just new (e.g. Cub camp!) that the signs start to show.  

When our middle child was diagnosed, it really did help speaking to other parents and sharing experiences, worries etc. I hope it will help you too x 

• Hi,

Sorry you are feeling lost now the diagnosis has been made for your son. It is life changing. Our 8 year old was diagnosed with 'classic' ASD when he was nearly 4. He has little speech, although this is developing, but he is the happiest one of our three children!

We have recently been for the ADOS with our 9 year old son, who suffers from high levels of anxiety, struggles with imaginative tasks and has sensory issues surrounding smells and tastes which severely affect his diet. He is doing so well at school, has a small group of friends and to the outside world, seems to be doing okay. But he is like a swan, paddling furiously to appear 'normal'. It takes an awful lot of effort on our part to 'keep him going', deal with his worries, keep him believing in himself, trying to build his confidence etc. We haven't had a diagnosis yet, but are due to see a paediatrician on 29/3 to discuss the report from the ADOS. I'm worried that a diagnosis will mean people judge him without meeting him - I'm worried about how it will affect him getting a job in the future. But I do feel it will help people to understand why he is the way he is...I'm trying to see it less as a 'label' more of an explanation for his quirky personality. Most people wouldn't be able to tell he has any worries or issues. He keeps them well hidden at school and it's only if you spend any length of time with him, or he is in an environment that is out of his comfort zone or just new (e.g. Cub camp!) that the signs start to show.  

When our middle child was diagnosed, it really did help speaking to other parents and sharing experiences, worries etc. I hope it will help you too x 

Children
No Data