Recently diagnosed at 40

Hi, I'm Mike I was diagnosed a few months ago and still have quite got to a point where I understand what it means foe me. I had been pondering and researching ASD for some years after seeing parallels between my son and I (he was diagnosed when he was 5), I made the mistake of sharing my thoughts at work and ended up with being told I needed to seek a diagnosis so they could determine if someone with Aspergers could do my job, I had been doing for nearly 5 years at that point. 8 months later I was diagnosed and work calmed down and now things feel the same but different. That's me its nice to be part of the community. 

thanks

Parents
  • Spot on.  It's very easy to get caught up in our own woes - you do well to remember that the "empathy gap" works both ways.  It's not just us getting confused by neurotypical behaviour - our hehaviour is just as mysterious when viewed from the other side of the mirror.

I'm fortunate, in that when I first introduce autism and Asperger's to my family, my mother realised very quickly that many of the traits have been quite common in our family, over several generations.  So, with her at least, it hasn't been so difficult to explain.  I've had slightly less receptive reactions from a few people, and I still mention it to as few as possible - on a need-to-know basis, mentioning only specific traits as they relate to a specific problem.

As for your interest in neurology - I concur completely.  I've taken a keener interest in the subject since my diagnosis especially.  I grew up idolising Johnny Ball, The Sky at Night and Tomorrow's World.  My fascination with any kind of science is still very powerful.  I find people who cannot see the beauty in it very hard to comprehend!

• Spot on.  It's very easy to get caught up in our own woes - you do well to remember that the "empathy gap" works both ways.  It's not just us getting confused by neurotypical behaviour - our hehaviour is just as mysterious when viewed from the other side of the mirror.

I'm fortunate, in that when I first introduce autism and Asperger's to my family, my mother realised very quickly that many of the traits have been quite common in our family, over several generations.  So, with her at least, it hasn't been so difficult to explain.  I've had slightly less receptive reactions from a few people, and I still mention it to as few as possible - on a need-to-know basis, mentioning only specific traits as they relate to a specific problem.

As for your interest in neurology - I concur completely.  I've taken a keener interest in the subject since my diagnosis especially.  I grew up idolising Johnny Ball, The Sky at Night and Tomorrow's World.  My fascination with any kind of science is still very powerful.  I find people who cannot see the beauty in it very hard to comprehend!

Children
No Data