My 2 yr old boy has just been diagnosed

Hi All,

My 2 yr old son has just been diagnosed to be on the autistic spectrum.  We are just on the start of his journey and it seems like we are going to get plenty of support in our area.  We have our first family support planning meeting on Friday so i was hoping for some advice on what questions i should be asking?

I would also like to hear from parents that are in a similar position who can give me any advice on supporting my little man?

I look forward to hearing from you :-)

Parents
  • Hi Sarah,

Sorry, it's been a hectic weekend!

Twins - that's lovely - i have 4 yr old twin nieces - they are a handful but sooo much fun!

I suspected that there wasn't something right when Alfie was about 18 months (maybe even before then).  A friend who is a 1-1 support teacher suggested he might be on the spectrum.  He was late with most of his key milestones and still has less than 10 words in his vocab at 2yrs and 3 months.  He didn't point or wave and doesn't use eye contact that much and has a very very short attention span.  He also hand flaps and gets quite violent when he has a tantrum - sometimes hitting me or himself (head banging).

I know what you mean about taking him places - we have had to leave a number of places due to him having one of his episodes.  He certainly is a lot happier when he is in a familiar environment.

I took him to our GP in June and he referred us to early support in our area.  This is co-ordinated by the community health visitor.  She liases with everyone necessary to put Alfie's support plan in place.  It has taken a while, but we are getting there)! So far we have had his eyesight and hearing checked to rule out the simple things.  He has had one session with the speech & language therapist, behavioural support and the paediatrician.  The paediatrician has confirmed the diagnosis and has referred us for more support.  She has also recommended that we apply for DLA.  If we get this i may be able to reduce my working hours so that i can spend more time with him.

I am waiting for a start date for Alfie at a special needs play group, but i think that will be really good for him.

I have just started telling people.  Now that i have a diagnosis it almost feels like it explains his behaviour.  It's been hard - because peoples reactions are like 'oh my god, you poor thing' which makes me want to say No, i am not a poor thing - i just have have a little boy who learns things at a different pace and in a different way.  It just makes him even more special in my eyes. 

It's good to talk to someone who is going through the same things, so thank you.  Although it seems a shame that there doesn't seem to be many other people active on the forum!

Michelle

• Hi Sarah,

Sorry, it's been a hectic weekend!

Twins - that's lovely - i have 4 yr old twin nieces - they are a handful but sooo much fun!

I suspected that there wasn't something right when Alfie was about 18 months (maybe even before then).  A friend who is a 1-1 support teacher suggested he might be on the spectrum.  He was late with most of his key milestones and still has less than 10 words in his vocab at 2yrs and 3 months.  He didn't point or wave and doesn't use eye contact that much and has a very very short attention span.  He also hand flaps and gets quite violent when he has a tantrum - sometimes hitting me or himself (head banging).

I know what you mean about taking him places - we have had to leave a number of places due to him having one of his episodes.  He certainly is a lot happier when he is in a familiar environment.

I took him to our GP in June and he referred us to early support in our area.  This is co-ordinated by the community health visitor.  She liases with everyone necessary to put Alfie's support plan in place.  It has taken a while, but we are getting there)! So far we have had his eyesight and hearing checked to rule out the simple things.  He has had one session with the speech & language therapist, behavioural support and the paediatrician.  The paediatrician has confirmed the diagnosis and has referred us for more support.  She has also recommended that we apply for DLA.  If we get this i may be able to reduce my working hours so that i can spend more time with him.

I am waiting for a start date for Alfie at a special needs play group, but i think that will be really good for him.

I have just started telling people.  Now that i have a diagnosis it almost feels like it explains his behaviour.  It's been hard - because peoples reactions are like 'oh my god, you poor thing' which makes me want to say No, i am not a poor thing - i just have have a little boy who learns things at a different pace and in a different way.  It just makes him even more special in my eyes. 

It's good to talk to someone who is going through the same things, so thank you.  Although it seems a shame that there doesn't seem to be many other people active on the forum!

Michelle

Children
No Data