Hello, I'm new - need advice about CBT

Hi there, I'm a mum with an 8yo son who has ASD and adhd and sotos syndrome. Im looking for some support with my sons anxiety that is almost stopping us from leaving home each day. It's getting worse and I feel the support we are getting from our local psychiatrist isn't really addressing the issues. 

its been mentioned that cognitive behavioural therapy might help my sons anxiety about being around babies and children. 

I was was wondering whether anyone had any experience of CBT and whether it's a good tool to use?  

Any advice would be really appreciated, I feeling like we've been asking for 4 years for help, but getting nowhere and the problem is just getting worse and worse. We are virtually trapped at home, and we can't have visitors with children or go visit friends and family with children. Everywhere we go there will always be a child and he cant cope with them and so we have to leave. 

Thanks

Parents
  • My understanding of CBT is that you have to believe that progress is possible. If you don't think it will work then it won't. A lot of people with ASD believe that their behaviour is so hard-coded, and also their past experiences are so bad that it is difficult or impossible to get to the point where they are willing to persuade themrselves that you can change the way that you react to situations. You can't really impose a treatment of CBT on someone in the same way that you would treat someone with drugs or first aid.

With an eight year old, I think that it would be difficult to get to that point of trust. I remember from when I was young how I feared the dentist. No amount of persuasion about how sensible and rational it was to subject yourself to their care worked. I avoided the dentist for many years but am now able to be more grown-up in persuading myself that it is the right and necessary thing to do.

I think Crystal is probably on the right track - if it is unbearable for him to be surrounded by crying children then it may be better to not expose him to that "torture". He may be very deeply upset by it (noise sensitivity may be the issue but he may also have some bad experience that started him off) and no amount of persuasion might reduce the distress that he is feeling.

• My understanding of CBT is that you have to believe that progress is possible. If you don't think it will work then it won't. A lot of people with ASD believe that their behaviour is so hard-coded, and also their past experiences are so bad that it is difficult or impossible to get to the point where they are willing to persuade themrselves that you can change the way that you react to situations. You can't really impose a treatment of CBT on someone in the same way that you would treat someone with drugs or first aid.

With an eight year old, I think that it would be difficult to get to that point of trust. I remember from when I was young how I feared the dentist. No amount of persuasion about how sensible and rational it was to subject yourself to their care worked. I avoided the dentist for many years but am now able to be more grown-up in persuading myself that it is the right and necessary thing to do.

I think Crystal is probably on the right track - if it is unbearable for him to be surrounded by crying children then it may be better to not expose him to that "torture". He may be very deeply upset by it (noise sensitivity may be the issue but he may also have some bad experience that started him off) and no amount of persuasion might reduce the distress that he is feeling.

Children
No Data