Hello, I'm new - need advice about CBT

Hi there, I'm a mum with an 8yo son who has ASD and adhd and sotos syndrome. Im looking for some support with my sons anxiety that is almost stopping us from leaving home each day. It's getting worse and I feel the support we are getting from our local psychiatrist isn't really addressing the issues. 

its been mentioned that cognitive behavioural therapy might help my sons anxiety about being around babies and children. 

I was was wondering whether anyone had any experience of CBT and whether it's a good tool to use?  

Any advice would be really appreciated, I feeling like we've been asking for 4 years for help, but getting nowhere and the problem is just getting worse and worse. We are virtually trapped at home, and we can't have visitors with children or go visit friends and family with children. Everywhere we go there will always be a child and he cant cope with them and so we have to leave. 

Thanks

Parents
  • My adult son cannot tolerate being in the company of crying babies + children.  His hearing has become increasingly sensitive to this type of noise (crying/screaming) since he was about 16.  It built up slowly.  He also gets more upset if he can see their faces as the noise is going on.  He is able to cope better if he knows he can walk away or that they are going away.   Being trapped with them would be a nightmare for him, such as being in a cafe, a lift, a room where he'd be expected to stay.  He has to be able to leave.  So I think trying to get him to visit friends/relatives where he is expected not only to stay but to "behave" is unrealistic at this stage.  I hope you don't mind me saying so. (the smilies aren't working).  It is incredible difficult to make progress with.  My son reacts better if he feels in control.  However, he does see himself as the victim in this + will complain whilst the noise is ongoing.  He does not have empathy or sympathy for the babies + children.  He just wants them to stop + altho he will walk away, he doesn't like having to do so.  Good quality headphones or ear defenders can help by blocking out the noise.  But as you say, he's waiting for the babies/children to start being noisy, so he's strung out from the word go.  It may be that you can't visit with him at this stage.  You could check out whether there's info on "desensitisation" techniques.   My son is frightened of being unable to get away from the noise because it makes him so upset.  CBT done neurotypically wouldn't work for my son.  As has been previously mentioned, whether a modified cbt for autistic people would work seems to be open to debate.  

• My adult son cannot tolerate being in the company of crying babies + children.  His hearing has become increasingly sensitive to this type of noise (crying/screaming) since he was about 16.  It built up slowly.  He also gets more upset if he can see their faces as the noise is going on.  He is able to cope better if he knows he can walk away or that they are going away.   Being trapped with them would be a nightmare for him, such as being in a cafe, a lift, a room where he'd be expected to stay.  He has to be able to leave.  So I think trying to get him to visit friends/relatives where he is expected not only to stay but to "behave" is unrealistic at this stage.  I hope you don't mind me saying so. (the smilies aren't working).  It is incredible difficult to make progress with.  My son reacts better if he feels in control.  However, he does see himself as the victim in this + will complain whilst the noise is ongoing.  He does not have empathy or sympathy for the babies + children.  He just wants them to stop + altho he will walk away, he doesn't like having to do so.  Good quality headphones or ear defenders can help by blocking out the noise.  But as you say, he's waiting for the babies/children to start being noisy, so he's strung out from the word go.  It may be that you can't visit with him at this stage.  You could check out whether there's info on "desensitisation" techniques.   My son is frightened of being unable to get away from the noise because it makes him so upset.  CBT done neurotypically wouldn't work for my son.  As has been previously mentioned, whether a modified cbt for autistic people would work seems to be open to debate.  

Children
No Data