Hello, I'm new - need advice about CBT

Hi there, I'm a mum with an 8yo son who has ASD and adhd and sotos syndrome. Im looking for some support with my sons anxiety that is almost stopping us from leaving home each day. It's getting worse and I feel the support we are getting from our local psychiatrist isn't really addressing the issues. 

its been mentioned that cognitive behavioural therapy might help my sons anxiety about being around babies and children. 

I was was wondering whether anyone had any experience of CBT and whether it's a good tool to use?  

Any advice would be really appreciated, I feeling like we've been asking for 4 years for help, but getting nowhere and the problem is just getting worse and worse. We are virtually trapped at home, and we can't have visitors with children or go visit friends and family with children. Everywhere we go there will always be a child and he cant cope with them and so we have to leave. 

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi

I've found one study which suggests it can help:

vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/.../S1352465811000063a.pdf

However this form of CBT was highly modified so that it was suitable for younger children and I don't know how easy a programme like that would be for you to find. Parental involvment seems to be crucial to success and you may not find CBT that included it.

Autistic adults are divided about CBT, with some saying it really helps and others saying it had no effect. This may be down to the delivery and materials used or it may be due to differences in cognitive function between autistic individuals.

• Hi

I've found one study which suggests it can help:

vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/.../S1352465811000063a.pdf

However this form of CBT was highly modified so that it was suitable for younger children and I don't know how easy a programme like that would be for you to find. Parental involvment seems to be crucial to success and you may not find CBT that included it.

Autistic adults are divided about CBT, with some saying it really helps and others saying it had no effect. This may be down to the delivery and materials used or it may be due to differences in cognitive function between autistic individuals.

Children
No Data