Another newbie aspie

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 47 year old woman who was diagnosed with Aspergers around 9 years ago after years of bullying in the workplace, anxiety and depression. After diagnosis I was basically left high and dry with no understanding or support apart from a very good friend. 

I've been anxious and depressed off and on ever since until things came to a head in February when my life fell apart.  But at last I've got a fantastic GP and psychiatrist who're getting me the help and support I need.  I'm very keen to learn how to cope better with it and would welcome advice and like to make friends with like-minded people. 

Parents
  • That's good advice about acting confident.  You're spot on about bullies identifying any signs of weakness.  I'm attending a confidence building course just now at the local hospital and trying to remember to keep my head up and shoulders back.

With regards to the act we put on, my psychiatrist told me that keeping that face on all day in front of everyone until we can get home and be ourselves is both physically and mentally exhausting.  

It has to result in heightened anxiety and depression if it keeps building up inside us like a pressure cooker til it boils over don't you think?  I also tend to go into myself for days when I've tried to keep up the act too long.  I tend to beat myself up because I didn't realise why I did it until just a couple of weeks ago and thought I was just being rude to people.  

It's such a comfort to hear someone else does the same thing.  Good luck and keep in touch and maybe we can support each other?

• That's good advice about acting confident.  You're spot on about bullies identifying any signs of weakness.  I'm attending a confidence building course just now at the local hospital and trying to remember to keep my head up and shoulders back.

With regards to the act we put on, my psychiatrist told me that keeping that face on all day in front of everyone until we can get home and be ourselves is both physically and mentally exhausting.  

It has to result in heightened anxiety and depression if it keeps building up inside us like a pressure cooker til it boils over don't you think?  I also tend to go into myself for days when I've tried to keep up the act too long.  I tend to beat myself up because I didn't realise why I did it until just a couple of weeks ago and thought I was just being rude to people.  

It's such a comfort to hear someone else does the same thing.  Good luck and keep in touch and maybe we can support each other?

Children
No Data