Another newbie aspie

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 47 year old woman who was diagnosed with Aspergers around 9 years ago after years of bullying in the workplace, anxiety and depression. After diagnosis I was basically left high and dry with no understanding or support apart from a very good friend. 

I've been anxious and depressed off and on ever since until things came to a head in February when my life fell apart.  But at last I've got a fantastic GP and psychiatrist who're getting me the help and support I need.  I'm very keen to learn how to cope better with it and would welcome advice and like to make friends with like-minded people. 

Parents
  • Hi Grace and everyone,

Due to personal circumstances at the moment I don't get the chance to get online as often as I'd like so sorry for not replying sooner.

I had no idea about Aspergers until I was bullied at work almost 10 years ago and saw a counsellor through occupational health.  She had a daughter with it and recognised the signs and arranged for me to visit an occupational psychologist who made the diagnosis.  

I was still plagued with anxiety, stress and depression and have somehow made it through the intervening years until i broke down in February this year. 

A few weks ago I saw a psychiatrist y GP had referred me to who confirmed the diagnosis and told me that the depression etc was a result of the Aspergers and no amount of medication will help me (I think I've been on every anti-depressant known to man!) The way of overcoming it is understanding the condition and learning ways of coping with it.  

I've been in touch with the local ASD advisory centre who are offering 1:1 support and arranging for me to attend a course.

I have similar concerns about employment.  I've been bullied so many times at different jobs that I think the best option for me would to become self-employed and I'm starting to explore the possibility.

I really wish you well with your GP.  

• Hi Grace and everyone,

Due to personal circumstances at the moment I don't get the chance to get online as often as I'd like so sorry for not replying sooner.

I had no idea about Aspergers until I was bullied at work almost 10 years ago and saw a counsellor through occupational health.  She had a daughter with it and recognised the signs and arranged for me to visit an occupational psychologist who made the diagnosis.  

I was still plagued with anxiety, stress and depression and have somehow made it through the intervening years until i broke down in February this year. 

A few weks ago I saw a psychiatrist y GP had referred me to who confirmed the diagnosis and told me that the depression etc was a result of the Aspergers and no amount of medication will help me (I think I've been on every anti-depressant known to man!) The way of overcoming it is understanding the condition and learning ways of coping with it.  

I've been in touch with the local ASD advisory centre who are offering 1:1 support and arranging for me to attend a course.

I have similar concerns about employment.  I've been bullied so many times at different jobs that I think the best option for me would to become self-employed and I'm starting to explore the possibility.

I really wish you well with your GP.  

Children
No Data