Another newbie aspie

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 47 year old woman who was diagnosed with Aspergers around 9 years ago after years of bullying in the workplace, anxiety and depression. After diagnosis I was basically left high and dry with no understanding or support apart from a very good friend. 

I've been anxious and depressed off and on ever since until things came to a head in February when my life fell apart.  But at last I've got a fantastic GP and psychiatrist who're getting me the help and support I need.  I'm very keen to learn how to cope better with it and would welcome advice and like to make friends with like-minded people. 

Parents
  • Thank you very much for posting your experience of getting diagnosed. It does help me a lot to hear about other people's experiences as compared to my own.

I also have been wondering (after paying an extortionate amount of money to see a private psychiatrist as my GP refused to refer me via the NHS) how he could have 'missed' my AS symptoms? He seemed to focus a lot on my childhood (which was not a happy one) rather than my coping mechanisms. He was visibly shocked when I told him about my experiences. All I really got out of that was a prescription for anti-depressants and sedatives to help me sleep. I suspected that he was used to treating rich housewives who can't cope with cheating husbands, etc, and need some pills. He certainly didn't appear to have ever treated someone as complicated as me.

The psychologist for CBT training was no better. She made a comment one day that shocked me: 'For someone like you, you seem to be doing really well in life holding down a job, having friends, etc'. I said 'please define what 'someone like me' means?'. She stumbled a bit and just said 'someone with your difficulties'. So she recognised my 'difficulties' but that was about it.

Despite those experiences, I can definitely see the logic in getting a formal diagnosis of AS though. I am sure it would help me in coming to terms with myself and my struggles in life. I also think it would help my friends, family and partner to understand better also. 

Perhaps what scares me is being labelled by society as 'disabled'. It is a very judgemental world we live in and we have to compete for just about everything in life. I am worried that I would find it harder to apply for jobs, for example, if I had to declare that I had AS. 

But on the other hand, I do think I am ready to explore this with my GP. I have made an appointment to see her next week. My previous GP (for the past 5 years) would not even refer me for depression, but this new lady seems more open minded. It may be worth discussing with her and take it from there. 

Wish me luck!

And thanks for your help.

• Thank you very much for posting your experience of getting diagnosed. It does help me a lot to hear about other people's experiences as compared to my own.

I also have been wondering (after paying an extortionate amount of money to see a private psychiatrist as my GP refused to refer me via the NHS) how he could have 'missed' my AS symptoms? He seemed to focus a lot on my childhood (which was not a happy one) rather than my coping mechanisms. He was visibly shocked when I told him about my experiences. All I really got out of that was a prescription for anti-depressants and sedatives to help me sleep. I suspected that he was used to treating rich housewives who can't cope with cheating husbands, etc, and need some pills. He certainly didn't appear to have ever treated someone as complicated as me.

The psychologist for CBT training was no better. She made a comment one day that shocked me: 'For someone like you, you seem to be doing really well in life holding down a job, having friends, etc'. I said 'please define what 'someone like me' means?'. She stumbled a bit and just said 'someone with your difficulties'. So she recognised my 'difficulties' but that was about it.

Despite those experiences, I can definitely see the logic in getting a formal diagnosis of AS though. I am sure it would help me in coming to terms with myself and my struggles in life. I also think it would help my friends, family and partner to understand better also. 

Perhaps what scares me is being labelled by society as 'disabled'. It is a very judgemental world we live in and we have to compete for just about everything in life. I am worried that I would find it harder to apply for jobs, for example, if I had to declare that I had AS. 

But on the other hand, I do think I am ready to explore this with my GP. I have made an appointment to see her next week. My previous GP (for the past 5 years) would not even refer me for depression, but this new lady seems more open minded. It may be worth discussing with her and take it from there. 

Wish me luck!

And thanks for your help.

Children
No Data