Another newbie aspie

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 47 year old woman who was diagnosed with Aspergers around 9 years ago after years of bullying in the workplace, anxiety and depression. After diagnosis I was basically left high and dry with no understanding or support apart from a very good friend. 

I've been anxious and depressed off and on ever since until things came to a head in February when my life fell apart.  But at last I've got a fantastic GP and psychiatrist who're getting me the help and support I need.  I'm very keen to learn how to cope better with it and would welcome advice and like to make friends with like-minded people. 

Parents
  • Hi Grace. I'm not going to bore you with details, but I've had similar experiences, including the incredibly harmful CBT with a psychologist (so if she's so good, how come she didn't 'spot' my ASD, I wonder?) so I totally understand what you're saying. Had it not been for my current GP, I'd still be floundering about. Given the strength of my faith, you can believe that I really do thank my God.

When I got my diagnosis, quite honestly I was dazed and stunned, still am, a little bit. But, I'm finally finding out who I am, helped by finding a community of others like me on here, where everyone is understanding, supportive and helpful, and we're all trying to work through our stuff with our own kind. It's the first time in my life that I've felt unconditionaly accepted, even if I occasionaly make a complete berk of myself! I finally feel like I belong.

Maybe if someone had said before that I might be AS, I'd have looked and thought possibly, but 'possibly' isn't definitely. The formal diagnosis removes any doubt, and I like facts, not speculation. That's what I've got against self-diagnosis - it leaves the question open, and I couldn't bear that.

Others, however, are content to self-identify, and that's fine too. It's really about what, and how much, it means to you - it's a very personal thing that we can each only decide for ourselves. I'm glad that I got mine, and very very grateful for it.

• Hi Grace. I'm not going to bore you with details, but I've had similar experiences, including the incredibly harmful CBT with a psychologist (so if she's so good, how come she didn't 'spot' my ASD, I wonder?) so I totally understand what you're saying. Had it not been for my current GP, I'd still be floundering about. Given the strength of my faith, you can believe that I really do thank my God.

When I got my diagnosis, quite honestly I was dazed and stunned, still am, a little bit. But, I'm finally finding out who I am, helped by finding a community of others like me on here, where everyone is understanding, supportive and helpful, and we're all trying to work through our stuff with our own kind. It's the first time in my life that I've felt unconditionaly accepted, even if I occasionaly make a complete berk of myself! I finally feel like I belong.

Maybe if someone had said before that I might be AS, I'd have looked and thought possibly, but 'possibly' isn't definitely. The formal diagnosis removes any doubt, and I like facts, not speculation. That's what I've got against self-diagnosis - it leaves the question open, and I couldn't bear that.

Others, however, are content to self-identify, and that's fine too. It's really about what, and how much, it means to you - it's a very personal thing that we can each only decide for ourselves. I'm glad that I got mine, and very very grateful for it.

Children
No Data