Another newbie aspie

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 47 year old woman who was diagnosed with Aspergers around 9 years ago after years of bullying in the workplace, anxiety and depression. After diagnosis I was basically left high and dry with no understanding or support apart from a very good friend. 

I've been anxious and depressed off and on ever since until things came to a head in February when my life fell apart.  But at last I've got a fantastic GP and psychiatrist who're getting me the help and support I need.  I'm very keen to learn how to cope better with it and would welcome advice and like to make friends with like-minded people. 

Parents
  • Hi, I was diagnosed AS not so very long ago, and it's certainly started me on an interesting journey to myself. I'm just grateful that this forum exists, I've finally got people I can talk to.

I agree with Octogent - there's a danger with self-diagnosis. Although I don't think I'd go as far as to call it audacious in most cases, I think that some people are too ready to accept themselves as a 'loose' fit. Given the current state of diagnostic services, we are pretty much left to just offer help, support and guidance how and where we can, and part of that is to simply accept self-diagnosed people and encourage them to seek a formal diagnosis if they think they need one.

We're all well aware of what happens to AS people who are undiganosed, simply because we've all been there. At last, an explanation for all the 'difficulties' we've ever had in the NT world, thinking we're struggling to be the same as everyone else, yet knowing that we're different without understanding what the difference is. Most frustrating. And Grace, you're right - turning to so-called friends and colleagues for help, only to be left high and dry, intensifies the isolation we feel. I've tried the same, and always ended up in tears.

Kacey, I think you're lucky for the same reason that I think I'm lucky. Judging by other people's experience, as well as my own, I really appreciate that my GP got on board with me and helped me to get the diagnosis I needed. At the same time I feel terribly hurt when other people are struggling to get their GPs to understand them at all!

Good to see you posting and hope there's plenty more to come

• Hi, I was diagnosed AS not so very long ago, and it's certainly started me on an interesting journey to myself. I'm just grateful that this forum exists, I've finally got people I can talk to.

I agree with Octogent - there's a danger with self-diagnosis. Although I don't think I'd go as far as to call it audacious in most cases, I think that some people are too ready to accept themselves as a 'loose' fit. Given the current state of diagnostic services, we are pretty much left to just offer help, support and guidance how and where we can, and part of that is to simply accept self-diagnosed people and encourage them to seek a formal diagnosis if they think they need one.

We're all well aware of what happens to AS people who are undiganosed, simply because we've all been there. At last, an explanation for all the 'difficulties' we've ever had in the NT world, thinking we're struggling to be the same as everyone else, yet knowing that we're different without understanding what the difference is. Most frustrating. And Grace, you're right - turning to so-called friends and colleagues for help, only to be left high and dry, intensifies the isolation we feel. I've tried the same, and always ended up in tears.

Kacey, I think you're lucky for the same reason that I think I'm lucky. Judging by other people's experience, as well as my own, I really appreciate that my GP got on board with me and helped me to get the diagnosis I needed. At the same time I feel terribly hurt when other people are struggling to get their GPs to understand them at all!

Good to see you posting and hope there's plenty more to come

Children
No Data