Hi there

Hi everyone, My DD has just been diagnosed with Autism - Aspergers Syndrome, she also has ADHD and sensory processing issues, as well as hypermobility of her joints (8/9 on Beighton Scale), she is also an idiopathic tiptoe walker due to sensory issues and wears piedro boots. I am just looking for guidance ideas on what to do now, i have tried talking to school but as yet they do not seem to see a need to discuss matter. we are after ideas for coping at home as my hubby is struggling badly with it and to be fair we are all exhausted...
  • Hello there, my little girl has just turned 6. We have a parents evening tomorrow so I am going to try to speak to the school tomorrow. we have a meeting in 2 weeks to see the Early Support Care Co-ordination (ESCO) service to see what help we can get. We are waiting for another paediatric appointment to discuss treatment plans for the adhd as well as further testing for petit mal epilepsy so even though we have got someway to a diagnosis we still have a way to go. 

We are trying to create a sensory area for her but we are not sure what else to do as yet. I did send off the DLA form today, if we get anything it's a bonus but I am not holding out hope, would be nice to get a little bit to help get some things for her to help her relax

• Hi, welcome Smile.  How old is your daughter?  What services is she getting at the minute?  I am disappointed that the school have taken the attitude they have.  Do you think she's in the right place?  Check out the home page relating to your rights for support for your daughter at school.  It got changed, but until fairly recently children with special needs would receive a statement of those needs.  Support would be provided.  Now it's got another name, something like an education, health + care plan or similar.  The school should be helping with this.  Also make an appointment with CAB or your council's welfare rights dept to claim any benefits you may be entitled to, if you haven't already.  The best thing you can do is learn as much as poss about how autism affects your child personally.  Take it bit by bit, there's a lot to learn.  There are posts about how people cope (or don't) with a diagnosis.  Loads of info via the home pg + the posts.  Ask anything you want, whenever you want.