New member with Aspergers and severe anxiety, please say hello!

Hello, people! I'm not sure what to say here, but I have diagnosed Aspergers along with all sorts of anxiety issues (BDD, general anxiety, terrified of phones, plenty of other situational anxieties) and depression. I don't really have any friends on or offline and I find myself emotionally unable to cope with people, so I'm horribly lonely. Hence being here!

(Incidentally I could go into a rant about how impossible it is as an adult to get any sort of support for these things but it really goes without saying, I've been sleeping on a sofa for the last few months and there's nothing I can do about it because of my fear :| )

Parents
  • I've heard that CBT is proven to be generally effective but I'm still suspicious of that sort of therapy - I've seen psychologists and counsellors before and I never felt like I could engage, due to the anxiety. I had the same problem growing up, I was diagnosed young and saw a psychologist for a long time but I'd basically do everything I could to abstract myself from the person in front of me. In the end that just kind of gave up on it.

I'm not sure about the GP thing, I think you need to call and in the past I've had really bad experiences of seeing the doctor about these things, included being shouted at by one when I tried to ask if I could be referred for something, and swore at by another; admittedly not at my current surgery, that was while I was at university, but yeah. My parents don't have any health workers... my mum has in the past but not at the moment.

And thank you for being so kind and for the practical suggestions, I might seem negative here but I really appreciate your help.

• I've heard that CBT is proven to be generally effective but I'm still suspicious of that sort of therapy - I've seen psychologists and counsellors before and I never felt like I could engage, due to the anxiety. I had the same problem growing up, I was diagnosed young and saw a psychologist for a long time but I'd basically do everything I could to abstract myself from the person in front of me. In the end that just kind of gave up on it.

I'm not sure about the GP thing, I think you need to call and in the past I've had really bad experiences of seeing the doctor about these things, included being shouted at by one when I tried to ask if I could be referred for something, and swore at by another; admittedly not at my current surgery, that was while I was at university, but yeah. My parents don't have any health workers... my mum has in the past but not at the moment.

And thank you for being so kind and for the practical suggestions, I might seem negative here but I really appreciate your help.

Children
No Data