hi my name is paul.

i am the dad of samuel barlow. you may of herd about us. ive discovered how little i know. it seems i have 4 autistic kids and may well be on the spectrum as well.

ive discovered that its very unwise to trust any proffesional in education. there objective is not the same as ours. some just dont care some just dont know and a lot avoid learnin problems. 

we were told by an education pychologist our daughter was just thick with an iq of 80-90. she struggled through school and earned a few ok exam results. no support of course was supplied. due to her  hard work she is doin a foundation degree at the OU. 

my other 3 all met simular problems sam bein worst. of the 4. 3 are now in higher education.

just dont except others judgements of our kids. we know best and want the best for them. our kids are special no matter what remember it in the bad days. never ever give up.

Parents
  • There have been a number of posts on the forum where it seems that autism gets in the way of a sufferer's intelligence. The true, internal, brightness of mind is shrouded behind the obstructions that autism puts in the way. There will be more people condemned to low expectations unless there is a lot more awareness of this.

Paul, with all of your children diagnosed with autism, has anyone considered whether you or your partner are also affected? Autism is often, but by no means always, passed through our genes. In my own case I can trace my 'eccentric' behaviour back through to my great grandad.

• There have been a number of posts on the forum where it seems that autism gets in the way of a sufferer's intelligence. The true, internal, brightness of mind is shrouded behind the obstructions that autism puts in the way. There will be more people condemned to low expectations unless there is a lot more awareness of this.

Paul, with all of your children diagnosed with autism, has anyone considered whether you or your partner are also affected? Autism is often, but by no means always, passed through our genes. In my own case I can trace my 'eccentric' behaviour back through to my great grandad.

Children
No Data