hi my name is paul.

i am the dad of samuel barlow. you may of herd about us. ive discovered how little i know. it seems i have 4 autistic kids and may well be on the spectrum as well.

ive discovered that its very unwise to trust any proffesional in education. there objective is not the same as ours. some just dont care some just dont know and a lot avoid learnin problems. 

we were told by an education pychologist our daughter was just thick with an iq of 80-90. she struggled through school and earned a few ok exam results. no support of course was supplied. due to her  hard work she is doin a foundation degree at the OU. 

my other 3 all met simular problems sam bein worst. of the 4. 3 are now in higher education.

just dont except others judgements of our kids. we know best and want the best for them. our kids are special no matter what remember it in the bad days. never ever give up.

• yes just not completed assesmeant.

• Does he have a formal diagnosis of an autistic spectrum disorder?

he has rights to medical/mental health attention the same as anyone else. The problem may be that he is not very good at getting his point across or standing his ground. Are you aware of the advocacy services that can be arranged for autistic people?

• no. no full assesmeant will be done in there. no treatmeant or support beyond typical health and mental health. been told none will be started until after appeal. so 8 months with nothing. its opened my eyes to a lot of stuff.   

• paulbarlow said:

its odd why first 4 are ASD and remainin 2 are not.    

That's the way genes work. Each child gets a random selection of the mother's and father's genes. Each child will have a unique set (unless you have identical twins) and it's like being dealt a different hand of cards in a card game. Your daughter who is studying equine science should be learning about this I would guess.

Between you, and particularly with Sam, you have quite an incentive to try and understand how to live a better life - is Sam getting specific help with this where he is?

• i was diagnosed as dyslexic at college. ive done a number of screening test every one says im very likely to be ASD. im not to bothered. i cope but it explains why i act and function differently. im socially a loner apart from family. i really cant mix well and dont know when to be quite. im very simular to my grandad. granny was always odd.

my 3 girls are very diffrent oldest worst, youngest of 3 at uni but its obvious fixation  on subjects in her case horses. in fact studyin equine science. so a useful fixation. middle one im most concern about did an hnd and is married. she just seems to not understand social norms.

poor old sam 16 year old boy sweet really but very vunerable. subjected to bullyin and cyber abuse.

my remaining 2 are very diffrent not ASD nor dyslexic. both about a year ahead in school. its odd why first 4 are ASD and remainin 2 are not.    

• There have been a number of posts on the forum where it seems that autism gets in the way of a sufferer's intelligence. The true, internal, brightness of mind is shrouded behind the obstructions that autism puts in the way. There will be more people condemned to low expectations unless there is a lot more awareness of this.

Paul, with all of your children diagnosed with autism, has anyone considered whether you or your partner are also affected? Autism is often, but by no means always, passed through our genes. In my own case I can trace my 'eccentric' behaviour back through to my great grandad.

• Hi Paul,

Similar to you, we were told our daughter was average/below average, & didn't have autism at nearly 6. Again missed by ed psyche at 8 & 10 years. She is now 15 and after years of 'mess' is catching up with reduced GCSE's. She will go to college and will do well in her chosen subject. We have encountered so much ignorance over the last 12 years of being in the system. One worker said, "Throw her into everything!"(2003),a social worker  said, "You are being too patient!"(2013) a school/home support worker said,"We are all on the spectrum!"(2014) Arghhh!!

I think professionals are slowly 'waking' up at last not to write-off our kids and to support families - thank goodness.........!!!

I agree with you.....keep knocking 'til we get support and respect for our families and our kids & those with autism. We are seeing our MP shortly- it should be compulsory that every public service worker receives proper training on autism and special needs - too much ignorance and too much suffering has gone on for generations!

Phew Paul, I feel better for getting that off my chest!! You are right....never give up! 

X