About us

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a 2 year old son who is currently on the waiting list for autism diagnosis. He's far behind in his development and isn't talking or interacting at all. Our health visitor came out to see us a few weeks ago and she informed us she thinks its possible for him to be autistic as he is showing a lot of autistic traits. 

Myself and my husband don't know very much about autism and are feeling a little lost at the moment.

We don't know where to begin with learning about autism or helping our son. We feel very helpless at the moment and unsure of what we can do to help him. 

is there anyone here who has been in a similar situation if so could you please get in contact with us we could really do with some advice.

thanks everyone :) 

Parents
  • Some people find picture cards useful for communicating with non verbal kids. www.google.co.uk/search I don't know whether speech and language therapy would be useful at his age, this is a question for your health visitor. I think you can also try being calm and firm if he does things like that. He needs to know that he can't throw things and that hitting himself is bad. Try holding/hugging him until he calms down and say No! firmly but clearly. Take him to a quiet space too if you can. The naughty step at the bottom of the stairs where it is quiet and cool is ideal for this. If you keep repeating the message then he may learn that it doesn't get him anywhere and that he can't get away with the behaviour. Hopefully you can nip this in the bud before he gets bigger and stronger.

• Some people find picture cards useful for communicating with non verbal kids. www.google.co.uk/search I don't know whether speech and language therapy would be useful at his age, this is a question for your health visitor. I think you can also try being calm and firm if he does things like that. He needs to know that he can't throw things and that hitting himself is bad. Try holding/hugging him until he calms down and say No! firmly but clearly. Take him to a quiet space too if you can. The naughty step at the bottom of the stairs where it is quiet and cool is ideal for this. If you keep repeating the message then he may learn that it doesn't get him anywhere and that he can't get away with the behaviour. Hopefully you can nip this in the bud before he gets bigger and stronger.

Children
No Data