About us

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a 2 year old son who is currently on the waiting list for autism diagnosis. He's far behind in his development and isn't talking or interacting at all. Our health visitor came out to see us a few weeks ago and she informed us she thinks its possible for him to be autistic as he is showing a lot of autistic traits. 

Myself and my husband don't know very much about autism and are feeling a little lost at the moment.

We don't know where to begin with learning about autism or helping our son. We feel very helpless at the moment and unsure of what we can do to help him. 

is there anyone here who has been in a similar situation if so could you please get in contact with us we could really do with some advice.

thanks everyone :) 

Parents
  • Hi,

Welcome to the forum! I'm a late diagnosed (at 56) ASD sufferer and have been learning loads from this forum and other places over the last year since diagnosis. There is a lot to learn and sooner or later you will read about it in a post here.

There is a huge variety in how it affects individuals. There is also a vast range of progress that people make. Often there are delays in development so being non-verbal at an early age is common but it does not mean that he won't talk normally at some point as Margaret has found. I expect you can see that his mind is active but that he is a bit closed off from the world?

Autistic children can thrive if the environment is right. Make sure that you are consistent and calm and reasonable with him. If he has a tantrum or meltdown then remove him to a quiet place and allow him to cool off. If you say No then don't change your mind - this means sometimes saying Yes when you want to say No but above all be consistent in teaching him rules and behaviour.

• Hi,

Welcome to the forum! I'm a late diagnosed (at 56) ASD sufferer and have been learning loads from this forum and other places over the last year since diagnosis. There is a lot to learn and sooner or later you will read about it in a post here.

There is a huge variety in how it affects individuals. There is also a vast range of progress that people make. Often there are delays in development so being non-verbal at an early age is common but it does not mean that he won't talk normally at some point as Margaret has found. I expect you can see that his mind is active but that he is a bit closed off from the world?

Autistic children can thrive if the environment is right. Make sure that you are consistent and calm and reasonable with him. If he has a tantrum or meltdown then remove him to a quiet place and allow him to cool off. If you say No then don't change your mind - this means sometimes saying Yes when you want to say No but above all be consistent in teaching him rules and behaviour.

Children
No Data