A short introduction

Hello all,

I have just joined, so I’d like to take the opportunity to introduce myself: I am 38 and was finally diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome last autumn. I’ve been suffering from depression, anxiety and various difficulties in social situations for as long as I can remember, so I am quite happy that there finally seems to be an explanation to all this. Looking back at my life now, the signs of me being on the autistic spectrum appear to be so strikingly obvious right from a very early age. But when I was a young kid it was the late seventies/early eighties and then of course awareness of Asperger’s and high-functioning autism in general was a far cry from what it is now.

Speaking of that, I actually live in Germany where awareness of Asperger’s Syndrome and high-functioning autism still seems to be significantly behind the UK or the US and online resources are mostly not very good, to say the least. So I decided to join here and it feels like the right place as I have many friends in the UK and come here quite often.

So, as everything regarding Asperger’s and autism is still quite new to me, I will probably look around a bit and maybe ask the occasional question whenever the time is right.

Cheers
Andy

Parents
  • Hi Eve,

I think the diagnosis has helped me a lot so far. But I have to admit the past 12+ months have been a bit of a rollercoaster ride for me. Before I got confronted with the possibility of having AS I didn’t know anything about it at all. I started reading a lot about it then and the process of going through the diagnosis really opened my eyes in many ways. It seemed like many things in my life suddenly appeared to make sense. Some things I’ve been struggling with for as long as I can remember seemed to finally have an explanation. 

I’ve been thinking a lot since receiving the diagnosis and I still have long-forgotten memories of my past randomly popping up in my head, all appearing in a new light now. 

I think I found many answers, but as you said there are many more questions coming on almost each day. It’s weird looking back at 38 years with so many things being put into a new perspective. The first weeks after I got the diagnosis were pretty difficult for me, but now I think I’ve come to accept it as it is and also see the positive sides of it. I think the fact that I’ve managed to live a very independent life and make a living out of the things I’ve always been intensely focused on (graphic design and typography) might have something to do with the more positive aspects of having AS. 

How old was your son when he got diagnosed, if I might ask? 

• Hi Eve,

I think the diagnosis has helped me a lot so far. But I have to admit the past 12+ months have been a bit of a rollercoaster ride for me. Before I got confronted with the possibility of having AS I didn’t know anything about it at all. I started reading a lot about it then and the process of going through the diagnosis really opened my eyes in many ways. It seemed like many things in my life suddenly appeared to make sense. Some things I’ve been struggling with for as long as I can remember seemed to finally have an explanation. 

I’ve been thinking a lot since receiving the diagnosis and I still have long-forgotten memories of my past randomly popping up in my head, all appearing in a new light now. 

I think I found many answers, but as you said there are many more questions coming on almost each day. It’s weird looking back at 38 years with so many things being put into a new perspective. The first weeks after I got the diagnosis were pretty difficult for me, but now I think I’ve come to accept it as it is and also see the positive sides of it. I think the fact that I’ve managed to live a very independent life and make a living out of the things I’ve always been intensely focused on (graphic design and typography) might have something to do with the more positive aspects of having AS. 

How old was your son when he got diagnosed, if I might ask? 

Children
No Data