ADHD Misdiagnosed?

Hi everyone. I am Babs and new here.  My son is 11 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD and Dyspraxia at 6 years. Over the last couple of years I have questioned whether there was something else wrong with him but have been told that the ADHD umbrella contains lots of different problems and that no two ADHD kids are the same. I am still not convinced though.  Has anyone else had this diagnosis and then looked further for an Autism diagnosis?  I need to find a checklist or something that I can compare.  I am 95% sure he should be on the autistic spectrum after reading the signs on the internet.

Cry

Parents
  • Being fobbed off is commonly mentioned by people on this forum. A second opinion can be formally requested though. This is easiest if you have identified traits in your son that are specific to autistic disorders. Items like his inability to get jokes, lack of social skills are probably relevant. Does he make eye contact? Is he very literal in his understanding of what people say to him?

Read what the NHS say about second opinions...

www.nhs.uk/.../910.aspx

Note that this says "Although you do not have a legal right to a second opinion, a healthcare professional will rarely refuse to refer you for one."It helps to ask nicely with some calmly presented reasons why you think it is appropriate. Write these down and take the list with you when you go to the doctor.

Also, have a read through some of the other posts here on second opinions and you may get some additional tips on how to go about it.

community.autism.org.uk/.../"second opinion"

• Being fobbed off is commonly mentioned by people on this forum. A second opinion can be formally requested though. This is easiest if you have identified traits in your son that are specific to autistic disorders. Items like his inability to get jokes, lack of social skills are probably relevant. Does he make eye contact? Is he very literal in his understanding of what people say to him?

Read what the NHS say about second opinions...

www.nhs.uk/.../910.aspx

Note that this says "Although you do not have a legal right to a second opinion, a healthcare professional will rarely refuse to refer you for one."It helps to ask nicely with some calmly presented reasons why you think it is appropriate. Write these down and take the list with you when you go to the doctor.

Also, have a read through some of the other posts here on second opinions and you may get some additional tips on how to go about it.

community.autism.org.uk/.../"second opinion"

Children
No Data