ADHD Misdiagnosed?

Hi everyone. I am Babs and new here.  My son is 11 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD and Dyspraxia at 6 years. Over the last couple of years I have questioned whether there was something else wrong with him but have been told that the ADHD umbrella contains lots of different problems and that no two ADHD kids are the same. I am still not convinced though.  Has anyone else had this diagnosis and then looked further for an Autism diagnosis?  I need to find a checklist or something that I can compare.  I am 95% sure he should be on the autistic spectrum after reading the signs on the internet.

Cry

Parents
  • Hi Hope

Thanks for your explanation and thoughts.  I didn't put much thought into Asperger's being a possibility but you have mentioned some things that my son definitely shows similarities with.  He is restless and never walks around the house.  He has to run everywhere even if it is from the sofa to the kitchen and I don't think he has ever walked up and down the stairs.  He is not interested in playing outside but becomes fixated on something in particular and only wants to do that.  He is extremely emotional and will cry at least 20 times a day with his mouth wide open like a young toddler.  He is a very messy eater and doesn't take any care in his appearance, leaving food stuck on his face or not be bothered if his nose has run.  He has no social skills and cannot just chat with friends.  They have to be interested in what he wants to do otherwise he would rather be on his own.  He shouts and has a very high pitched voice which makes people stare; like Pinky & Perky and non-stop.  His emotions are not right.  He will cry out loud and by the time he gets to the top of the stairs he is singing beautifully. He doesn't really have a sense of humour.

He plays immature games and is also very strong and boisterous with his younger brother.  He doesn't seem to sense danger and forgets how to cross the road safely. He is currently undergoing occupational therapy for spatial awareness as he sees a room or a space bigger than what it actually is.

When I have asked for another opinion, I have been fobbed off with the fact that ADHD covers a lot of things and this is normal for him.

I could go on but I think you will get the idea.  Many thanks again.

Babs Undecided

• Hi Hope

Thanks for your explanation and thoughts.  I didn't put much thought into Asperger's being a possibility but you have mentioned some things that my son definitely shows similarities with.  He is restless and never walks around the house.  He has to run everywhere even if it is from the sofa to the kitchen and I don't think he has ever walked up and down the stairs.  He is not interested in playing outside but becomes fixated on something in particular and only wants to do that.  He is extremely emotional and will cry at least 20 times a day with his mouth wide open like a young toddler.  He is a very messy eater and doesn't take any care in his appearance, leaving food stuck on his face or not be bothered if his nose has run.  He has no social skills and cannot just chat with friends.  They have to be interested in what he wants to do otherwise he would rather be on his own.  He shouts and has a very high pitched voice which makes people stare; like Pinky & Perky and non-stop.  His emotions are not right.  He will cry out loud and by the time he gets to the top of the stairs he is singing beautifully. He doesn't really have a sense of humour.

He plays immature games and is also very strong and boisterous with his younger brother.  He doesn't seem to sense danger and forgets how to cross the road safely. He is currently undergoing occupational therapy for spatial awareness as he sees a room or a space bigger than what it actually is.

When I have asked for another opinion, I have been fobbed off with the fact that ADHD covers a lot of things and this is normal for him.

I could go on but I think you will get the idea.  Many thanks again.

Babs Undecided

Children
No Data