Aspie girl - newly diagnosed

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say a quick hello, since I'm newly diagnosed and finding it tough. I had no idea I was different!! I feel like I'm the only AS person who was clueless that they weren't "normal" Laughing

My husband finds it difficult communicating with me, and he did some online research and found that Asperger's was a good fit. Just had it officially diagnosed last month. It left me feeling pretty shocked! But all the pieces make sense now, having been described as 'hard work' when I was a kid and with problems sleeping.

The consultant said that I hide it well, but that all falls apart when I have a temper meltdown Frown Does anyone else suffer with these? Do you have any advice on how my NT partner and myself can handle these? I lose perspective and my tone becomes snappy.

We're based in East Anglia but there aren't many groups listed locally. Any advice you have on an AS/NT partnership would be much appreciated! It can literally be like we're speaking different languages!

Thank you in advance Smile

Parents
  • Thank you for all your replies, it's really reassuring to know I'm not alone in being different :-)

This is my first time using a forum, so thank you Socks for pointing out the search function, looks like there's lots of useful info on meltdowns.

Marjorie, that's wonderful to hear that you've been together with your husband for so long. I think a key piece of the puzzle is for me to figure out how I can 'give' more.

And thank you Atypical for the book recommendations! I've downloaded a Kindle app for my iPad so I can read lots of aspie books without having them lying around the house! I'll definitely look into your suggestions. I know how you feel about some advice being too simple; I'm actually pretty good at reading faces, but since the diagnosis I've realised I sometimes struggle to accurately guess how someone is feeling. I hope you manage to get a diagnostic consultation, if you feel that would be useful for you. Remember it's just a label, you're still you. I sometimes over-identify with the label, and that can feel isolating. I guess it's the perspective thing again ;-)

• Thank you for all your replies, it's really reassuring to know I'm not alone in being different :-)

This is my first time using a forum, so thank you Socks for pointing out the search function, looks like there's lots of useful info on meltdowns.

Marjorie, that's wonderful to hear that you've been together with your husband for so long. I think a key piece of the puzzle is for me to figure out how I can 'give' more.

And thank you Atypical for the book recommendations! I've downloaded a Kindle app for my iPad so I can read lots of aspie books without having them lying around the house! I'll definitely look into your suggestions. I know how you feel about some advice being too simple; I'm actually pretty good at reading faces, but since the diagnosis I've realised I sometimes struggle to accurately guess how someone is feeling. I hope you manage to get a diagnostic consultation, if you feel that would be useful for you. Remember it's just a label, you're still you. I sometimes over-identify with the label, and that can feel isolating. I guess it's the perspective thing again ;-)

Children
No Data