my son has aspergers

Smilehello everyone

Parents
  • When you first say to someone Autism or Asperger syndrome the reaction you get is that the child is backwards or less able, people I have spoken to have very little or no knowledge.

I am the father of a three year old who is on the Autistic Spectrum and has been diagnosed with mild Asperger Syndrome.   

Early signs were picked up at home. This included hand flapping, delay in speech and physical movement. It was only when at the age of 2 ½ my son started nursery and staff showed signs of concern.  His eye contact was limited and he didn’t understand spatial awareness. He would quite often roll around on the floor close to others feet and in areas of danger. He built a strong relationship with a senior member of the nursery team, who helped him with his social skills and speech. He has always had a very good understanding and would communicate well without speech.

His speech picked up very quick and his understanding and communication skills are above average for his age. I refer back to my first passage “backwards” or “ less able”, this is not the case. He has incredible attention to detail, a fantastic memory and is excellent with numbers and letters. Do you know many children at the age of 3 that can remember 10 items on a shopping list, talk for 15 minutes solid on an event that occurred several weeks ago or complete a complex puzzle on his own?

There are barriers in his daily life. The first thing that comes to mind are gates/doors. If he enters a gate or door he wants either himself or Mummy and Daddy to close it. If another person enters he will have a  breakdown. This has always been a struggle to manage, getting angry with him isn’t the answer. Health professionals have suggested role play and storytelling at home that includes the entering and closing or gates/doors.

Second, food texture. He won’t eat or try certain textures. He won’t have butter on his bread, eat cheese unless on a pizza or non visible on food, drink cow’s milk. He won’t try traditional home cooked food or have food covered with a sauce.

Third, routine. Bedtimes include following the same routine every night. This can be difficult if both parents are not present or in a different environment (staying away). He needs to be reminded and told  several times during the day that tonight’s routine will change.

There are many other hurdles and barriers which we have to adapt too including hitting himself if it’s not going his way, the hitting of his younger sibling for no reason.   

I have not found it easy with having OCD myself. I have not always managed the situation well and I get very angry at times. I am learning myself to adapt to the needs of my son and learn to live with his ways. I don’t want him to be labelled or referred to as a problem child. There is no cure for his condition but we will give the best possible help and support so he can fulfil his own dreams.

• When you first say to someone Autism or Asperger syndrome the reaction you get is that the child is backwards or less able, people I have spoken to have very little or no knowledge.

I am the father of a three year old who is on the Autistic Spectrum and has been diagnosed with mild Asperger Syndrome.   

Early signs were picked up at home. This included hand flapping, delay in speech and physical movement. It was only when at the age of 2 ½ my son started nursery and staff showed signs of concern.  His eye contact was limited and he didn’t understand spatial awareness. He would quite often roll around on the floor close to others feet and in areas of danger. He built a strong relationship with a senior member of the nursery team, who helped him with his social skills and speech. He has always had a very good understanding and would communicate well without speech.

His speech picked up very quick and his understanding and communication skills are above average for his age. I refer back to my first passage “backwards” or “ less able”, this is not the case. He has incredible attention to detail, a fantastic memory and is excellent with numbers and letters. Do you know many children at the age of 3 that can remember 10 items on a shopping list, talk for 15 minutes solid on an event that occurred several weeks ago or complete a complex puzzle on his own?

There are barriers in his daily life. The first thing that comes to mind are gates/doors. If he enters a gate or door he wants either himself or Mummy and Daddy to close it. If another person enters he will have a  breakdown. This has always been a struggle to manage, getting angry with him isn’t the answer. Health professionals have suggested role play and storytelling at home that includes the entering and closing or gates/doors.

Second, food texture. He won’t eat or try certain textures. He won’t have butter on his bread, eat cheese unless on a pizza or non visible on food, drink cow’s milk. He won’t try traditional home cooked food or have food covered with a sauce.

Third, routine. Bedtimes include following the same routine every night. This can be difficult if both parents are not present or in a different environment (staying away). He needs to be reminded and told  several times during the day that tonight’s routine will change.

There are many other hurdles and barriers which we have to adapt too including hitting himself if it’s not going his way, the hitting of his younger sibling for no reason.   

I have not found it easy with having OCD myself. I have not always managed the situation well and I get very angry at times. I am learning myself to adapt to the needs of my son and learn to live with his ways. I don’t want him to be labelled or referred to as a problem child. There is no cure for his condition but we will give the best possible help and support so he can fulfil his own dreams.

Children
No Data