Just found out - Need advice!

Hello, nice to meet everyone. Here is a short introduction if anyone is interested or can relate to it:

I've always known that for a variety of reasons I am much different from everyone else around me. I've heard about autism, met autistic people in passing, and while I was very aware of my differences, I never even considered whether or not I might also be autistic. A couple of days ago this changed and I did some research and I can say with as much confidence as possible without a diagnosis that I am autistic. I don't even want to waste my time and money getting a diagnosis because I identify with it that much and if I do not meet the thresholds on some technicality it wouldn't change that fact that autistic struggles are my struggles too (and maybe benefits as well).

I always hated school and work so much especially the forced social interactions. I felt like I was in a cage and wanted to claw my way out. I decided one day that enough is enough and I would pull myself out of it my any means necessary. I considered every option no matter how extreme. Building a cabin in the middle of the woods, becoming a monk, etc, but I wanted financial security and not to regret these decisions later in life. That's when I came across the concept of investing and living off of investments. I decided this was the way forward. It became my "special interest", so to speak. I researched investing as it related to retirement and became a essentially an expert in this niche. I joined the nerdiest finance forum to learn more and quickly became a guru there, even though I barely spoke to people in real life.

I eventually retired at the age of 32 with my wife (I left out this detail), sold everything, moved out of our apartment and started backpacking around the world together. The stress reduction has been huge and quality of life has gone way up. We get to do whatever we want all day and see interesting things. I have plenty of time for relaxation. We also work out together regularly and eat a very healthy diet.

So, I actually want some advice.

The social aspect I'm okay with. I find communication with my wife to be very natural and I don't really need to communicate with anyone else other than just the bare minimum. Sometimes I think it would be nice and I can kind of dream of people that I've never met that I would like to spend time with but I've never met those people.

Here is where I'm REALLY struggling. When I was a little kid I was full of energy. Actually I annoyed the other kids sometimes. But since then, especially since being a teenager the energy levels have gone way down. Since retiring I don't usually have that flight or fight response and I am happy, but I'm just always tired, every day. And I feel like I've tried everything.

Once in a while I can be doing something and get caught up in the moment and then ten minutes later think to myself "did I just experience energy?" , but it's so short lived, and not very repeatable!

Any thoughts?

Parents
  • Hmmm.... Two ideas:

1. You say "we get to do whatever we want all day and see interesting things". Although your stress has reduced, perhaps your autistic brain gets a bit overloaded seeing all these new things, even though you aren't consciously aware of it? Sensory overload = tiredness

2. The change in lifestyle could be the source, either because of the change to routine or due to boredom because you don't have the challenge you had previously?

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I also hated school & work  and have finally been able to retire in my early sixties. It's been strange - my brain is still processing the change, but it's only been just over a month.

Let us know how you get on.

• Thank you! Very thoughtful response.

I am definitely thinking a lot about your first point. I need to experiment with more with controlling my sensory experiences to see what helps.

Congratulations on your retirement!

• Thank you! Very thoughtful response.

I am definitely thinking a lot about your first point. I need to experiment with more with controlling my sensory experiences to see what helps.

Congratulations on your retirement!

Children
No Data