Hello There

Hey there,

I just joined the NAS forum.

I was diagnosed when I was 3 years old. Whilst the help and support was put in place early on, I was diagnosed in the early 90s where there still wasn't a great deal of awareness. So I was taught to mask my traits as opposed to embracing them; so I didn't realise how much it effected me once I started living on my own and being in a job where I have to take the lead on things.

My interests include music, baking, exploring the outdoors, watching TV/films, playing video games, pole fitness and swimming.

I joined the forum to meet like minded individuals and find out more about the support that is available.

Take Care Heart️ 

Parents
  • Welcome ROSOLot!

I'm sure that you will find a lot of similarities with a lot of people here.

It is interesting to me as someone with a late diagnosis and masked all my life how you got a very early diagnosis and still masked.

Personally, I think masking is underrated with autistics. I think it is very useful. A bit like being fluent in a foreign language. Though it's super tiring.

Anyway, I hope to see you on other threads.

• Personally, I think masking is underrated with autistics. I think it is very useful. A bit like being fluent in a foreign language.

I agree.....(although the term "masking" is often hotly debated in its proper application)....but I know what you mean in this sense.  However, to extend your metaphor, when people think you are Spanish, and then you start speaking Mongolian.....it freaks people out!  TBH.....it freaked me out too.....until I realised why I 

• Personally, I think masking is underrated with autistics. I think it is very useful. A bit like being fluent in a foreign language.

I agree.....(although the term "masking" is often hotly debated in its proper application)....but I know what you mean in this sense.  However, to extend your metaphor, when people think you are Spanish, and then you start speaking Mongolian.....it freaks people out!  TBH.....it freaked me out too.....until I realised why I 

Children
No Data