Introducing myself

Hello everyone! I am glad to be here, I have suspected autism and wanted to join a community for Autism. I am currently underway to get tested, my little brother is high on the spectrum and my parents believe I am on the spectrum as well. If anyone has any advice for a 23 year old to get tested, I would love to hear it!

Parents
  • Hi Kyle

I'm more than twice your age, so can't help with the age things, but have just been diagnosed last week. I can answer questions about the process of you are anxious about it. 

• Hello Spikey!

That's okay! I am just glad you've responded. Yeah, that'll be great. I am anxious about it. What am I to expect?

• Well I suppose you need to work out whether to go the NHS route (several years) or if you (maybe with the help of your parents) can afford to do it privately (several months).

Even with private, it is broken into steps and the pre-assessment step is the cheapest and tells you if it is worth doing the whole thing - so you do not end up spending a fortune. Other steps tend to be interviews with you and a 'fun' ADOS-2 test with you, interviews with your parents and/or other key people in your life.

• Well I suppose you need to work out whether to go the NHS route (several years) or if you (maybe with the help of your parents) can afford to do it privately (several months).

Even with private, it is broken into steps and the pre-assessment step is the cheapest and tells you if it is worth doing the whole thing - so you do not end up spending a fortune. Other steps tend to be interviews with you and a 'fun' ADOS-2 test with you, interviews with your parents and/or other key people in your life.

Children
No Data