Any advice for a Grandma please

Hi, My Grandson Charlie was diagnosed with ASD a couple of weeks before his 4th Birthday, he is 6 in a fortnight. He has always been a loving affectionate child with me until about 4 months ago when overnight he changed. Charlie now behaves as though he hates me or is scared of me, he is either very aggressive toward me or gets extremely distressed around me. As he visits his Daddy who lives with us every weekend, this is an issue, so much so that a couple of weeks ago I had to move out while he was here. Charlie is the apple of my eye, and this is breaking my heart, has anyone else had a similar experience?

Parents
  • Children with ASC do go through different phobias.  Perhaps he has learned about human mortality at school and is putting a barrier between you to avoid getting hurt.  Or maybe someone said their grandparent got sick so he thinks it will happen to every grandparent.  Or maybe it's just something really small that would seem illogical to anyone else but has been the seed for a fear or dislike that he associates with you.  Perhaps he saw a "baddie" in a programme that reminded him of you or something.  Perhaps his mum could write a social story with photos of you on stick men doing kind and loving things.

• Children with ASC do go through different phobias.  Perhaps he has learned about human mortality at school and is putting a barrier between you to avoid getting hurt.  Or maybe someone said their grandparent got sick so he thinks it will happen to every grandparent.  Or maybe it's just something really small that would seem illogical to anyone else but has been the seed for a fear or dislike that he associates with you.  Perhaps he saw a "baddie" in a programme that reminded him of you or something.  Perhaps his mum could write a social story with photos of you on stick men doing kind and loving things.

Children
No Data