Who to tell...

I have recently been diagnosed and am unsure whether to tell my step daughter (She is 9 years old)

She comes to stay with us every other weekend and during half terms, and honestly I struggle at times when she does stay as I am not good at sharing my space and like things to be done in a certain way.

I am unsure whether to tell her so that maybe she will have a little more understanding of why I can be grumpy when she is here at times or whether that is too much of an 'adult' conversation to have...

Has anybody else ever been in a similar situation?

• ....In that case, then I, personally, would not try to explain to her in express terms.....yet.

• She is 9 Years Old - Sorry I should have said that

• I have never been in exact same situation, but I was also forced by various circumstances to share my space with others. With the difference that I had no explanation and had no idea why I felt uncomfortable and why they found me moody. Depending on the relations you have with your step daughter maybe it would be helpful to talk to her and find some solutions, also give her more understanding of the situation. I don’t know how old she is, maybe before that you could also consult/involve your partner. 

• How old is your step daughter?

• I'd explain it to her, maybe she already knows people who are autistic and would find accomodating you fairly easy, she might tell you you're being to autistic about something, kids can be very honest. As long as you listen as much or more than you talk to her and let her ask questions, then I think it can only be good for all of you.